Home > Home, property, and development > Building and renovating > Permits and regulations > Apply for and manage your permit

Apply for and manage your permit

Below is a list of the construction-related permits that the City administers. These permits are grouped in the order you are likely to need them.

  1. Start your project here - these are the permits that you will need for most projects. Not sure if you need a permit at all? See the pages When you need a permit and When you work without a permit.
  2. Get these permits next - these are permits you need for most types of projects, but you typically need one of the core permits (development, development-building, or building permits) first.
  3. Trades and system-specific permits - these are permits for specific systems such as electrical and plumbing.
  4. Other permits - these are the kinds of permits you need once your project is just about finished.

The City is here to help

Call or visit the Development and Building Services Centre with questions or concerns about your permit application. Our staff will help you determine which permits you need, and help navigate you through the process, so you can speak to your contractor with confidence.

Start your project here

Contractor on a site

Building permit

Building permits in Vancouver are usually required for building or renovating. Read the requirements, learn about the bylaw, and download the application.

Highrise under construction

Development permit

There are different types of development permits in Vancouver for different situations. Read the specifics, download the forms, and find contact info.

Home under construction

Development-building permit (combined permit)

Simpler projects that need both development and building permits may qualify for a combined permit. View the requirements and download the application.

Get these permits and approvals next


Alternative solutions

Alternative solutions (“equivalencies”) allow for flexibility in building construction. Read the requirements, view the fees, and more.

Pile of bricks from a deconstructed building

Demolition permit

Demolishing a building in Vancouver often requires at least one permit. Find out the requirements for your project, including for reusing and recycling demolition materials.

Construction site inspector with checklist

Field review

Field reviews are an alternative permit-issuing process for small renovation projects which require a building permit. Learn more here.

The City of Vancouver maintains 6,200 fire hydrants.

Fire hydrant use permit

If you need to use a fire hydrant for a specific purpose, such as construction or filming, you will need a fire hydrant use permit. Find out what other requirments you must meet.

Fire engine No 5

Fire Safety Plan

The fire safety plan is one of the most important documents to prepare and maintain for the safety of occupants and for the lifetime of the building.

110 Carrall Street in Gastown

Heritage alteration permit

Heritage alteration permits are needed for work on protected or designated structures or features. Read the requirements, find contact info and more.

Construction site cranes

Noise bylaw exception permit

A noise bylaw exception permit allows construction outside of the specified hours. Download the form, view the bylaw, find the fees, and more.

For lease sign

Tenant Improvement Permit System

Learn about the Tenant Improvement Permit System (TIPs), an alternative permit-issuing process for renovation projects in leased commercial spaces.

Person protecting tree

Tree removal permit

This permit allows you to take out, move, or replace trees on your property. View the requirements, download the form, find contact information, and more.

A pump removes contaminated water from a construction site to discharge into a sanitary sewer

Wastewater discharge permit (groundwater and contaminated sites)

This permit covers contaminated groundwater discharge during construction. Read the requirements, view the bylaw, download the application.

Trades and system-specific permits you will need

Electrical outlet

Electrical permit (for construction or renovation)

An electrical permit is required for most work on electrical systems in Vancouver. Read the requirements, view the bylaw, and download the application.

Fire sprinkler

Fire sprinkler permit

A fire sprinkler permit is required for work on fire sprinkler systems in Vancouver. Read the requirements, view the bylaw, and download the application.


Gas permit

A gas permit is required to install or replace gas-powered appliances, pipes or vents. Read the requirements, view the bylaw, download the application.

Plumbing pipe and wrench

Plumbing permit

A plumbing permit is required for most work on plumbing systems in Vancouver. Read the requirements, view the bylaw, and download the application.

A water service permit allows you to connect a new building with the City's water and sewer system.

Water and sewer connection permits

Find out how to apply for permits to connect your new home, laneway house, or other building with the City of Vancouver's water, sanitary, and storm sewer services.

Other permits you may need

Moving truck

Occupancy permit

An occupancy permit is needed for most new buildings, and for some existing buildings. The permit confirms the building is safe and complies with bylaws and building codes.


Residential building lockbox permit

Make it easy for firefighters and rescue workers to enter your building during an emergency: store your keys in a building lockbox.

GrowBusters logo

Re-occupancy permit

A re-occupancy permit is needed for a building which had been declared unsafe. Read the requirements, download the form and more.

Underground storage tank being removed by an excavator

Underground storage tank removal or abandonment permit

Underground storage tanks that haven't been used for two years must be removed. Find out the benefits of removing a UST, how to detect one on your property, and how to get a permit to remove it or safely abandon it in place.

Contact the Development and Building Services Centre about building and zoning


Location and mailing address
Development and Building Services Centre
Ground floor
515 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Z 4A8

Monday, Wednesday, Friday
8:30am to 4:30pm

Tuesday, Thursday
8:30am to 4:00pm

Free 2-hour parking
West 10th Ave parking lot,
between Cambie and Yukon

Business permits

Need a permit for your business?

Go to the Doing Business section of the website.

Business licenses and permits

Traffic management

Road barricades around a construction site

Traffic control for road construction

Find out about the traffic control measures needed when doing construction or maintenance on or next to City streets.

Get news about development and building

* Indicates required fields

Alarm permitAlternative solutionsAnchor rod permitBuilding permitDemolition permitDevelopment permitDevelopment-building permit (combined permit)Electrical permit (for construction or renovation)Field reviewFire hydrant use permitFire Safety PlanFire sprinkler permitGas permitHeritage alteration permitNoise bylaw exception permitOccupancy permitPlumbing permitRe-occupancy permitResidential building lockbox permitSite sign standards and templates for rezoning and development permit applicationsTenant Improvement Permit SystemTree removal permitUnderground storage tank removal or abandonment permitWastewater discharge permit (groundwater and contaminated sites)Water and sewer connection permits