Occupancy permits ensure that buildings comply with relevant bylaws and codes, and are safe for people to live in or use.
When occupancy permits are required
Occupancy permits must be issued for:
- New commercial and multi-unit buildings
- Major renovations
- Tenant improvements
- Changes of building use
Occupancy permits are optional and may be requested for:
- New one- and two-family homes
- All other buildings, following a special inspection
The City is here to help
For specific information about your situation, contact the occupancy permit clerk directly. They will help you determine what permits you need and help navigate you through the process so you can speak to your contractor with confidence.
Process and timeline
Apply for an occupancy permit after your building permit has been issued or after you have requested a special inspection.
- Download the occupancy permit application form (25 KB).
- Send your completed form to the occupancy permit clerk.
- For new one-family and two-family homes: Bring your form in person with the permit fee to the location on this page.
- For all other buildings: Send your form by email, by fax, by mail, or in person to the contact on this page.
- If parking, landscaping, or bike storage are a condition of occupancy, a property use inspection is required. Please call 604-871-6811 to book an appointment.
- We process your permit application form in three or more weeks.
- We mail your permit to you. If you want, we can fax it to you or you can pick it up in person.