Photo by Luke Smith64

Noise bylaw exception permit

Most construction activities can take place at any time. However, noisy construction activities can only take place during specific times, under the Noise Control Bylaw.

If you need to do noisy construction activities outside of the allowed times, you will need to get a noise bylaw exception permit. 

The times are:

Day Private property City streets, lanes, and boulevards
Monday to Friday 7:30am to 8:00pm 7:00am to 8:00pm
Saturday 10:00am to 8:00pm 7:00am to 8:00pm
Sunday No construction-related noise permitted 10:00am to 8:00pm
Holidays No construction-related noise permitted 10:00am to 8:00pm

Contact us about your noise bylaw exception permit



Location and mailing address
Development and Building Services Centre
Ground floor
515 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Z 4A8

Monday, Wednesday, Friday
8:30am to 4:30pm

Tuesday, Thursday
8:30am to 4:00pm

Free 2-hour parking
West 10th Ave parking lot,
between Cambie and Yukon

The City is here to help

For specific information about your situation, contact Noise Control directly. Our staff will help you determine whether a permit is needed, and help navigate you through the process, so you can speak to your contractor with confidence.

How to apply

  1. Download and complete the application form (80 KB).
  2. Email, fax, or bring in person your application form to the contact on this page at least five business days before the date of construction.
  3. If your permit is approved, the noise bylaw exemption will be valid for the dates indicated on your permit application form.

Need more time for your noisy activity?

If you need to extend your noise bylaw exception permit, you must reapply for a new one and pay the application fee.


Save money: apply for your permit as early as possible. The permit fee is based on how many days before your proposed activity you apply.


When we receive your application Permit fee 
Five days or more before your proposed activity $151.00 
Four days or less before your proposed activity $302.00 

You pay for the permit when you apply for it. You can pay by cash, cheque, debit, or credit card. The permit fee is non-refundable.