When you build a new home or do a major renovation, you may be required to upgrade your property's drainage system.
Replacing your combined sewer with a separated sewer:
- Reduces the volume of water that goes to the sewage treatment plant
- Reduces the risk of the storm water system overflowing, sending unprocessed water into our natural waterways
Two areas of inspection
The City performs an inspection on private property and City property.
On private property, a plumbing inspector inspects:
- Storm sewer connections
- Sanitary sewer connections
- Sanitary building drain sewers
Booking an inspection
To book an inspection for permitted work on private property, phone 3-1-1 (or 604-873-7000 outside Vancouver).
Provide the following information when you book:
- Permit number
- Address of inspection site
- Type of inspection required
- If an inspection request is received before 2:00pm on a business day, the inspection will be booked for the following business day.
- If an inspection request is received any time during the weekend or on a holiday, the inspection will be booked for two business days later.
- If you are requesting a specific time for an inspection, call the district inspector during office hours to make arrangements.
- The length of the inspection itself will vary, depending on how much work must be inspected, and what the inspector finds once on site.
How to consult with an inspector
On-duty inspectors are available to answer questions and other inquiries. Visit the Development and Building Services Centre.
If you need to speak with a specific district inspector, book a 10-minute meeting. Call 3-1-1 (outside Vancouver: 604-873-7000) by 2:00pm to arrange your appointment for the next business day.
Meetings are scheduled between 8:30am and 9:30am or between 3:00pm and 4:00pm, depending on the inspector.
Other ways you can speak with inspectors:
Cancelling an inspection
To cancel an inspection
- Call 3-1-1. If you cancel before the cancellation deadline, you will receive a case number.
- Make sure that someone on site knows the case number so that they can give it to the inspector if the inspector shows up at the original time. This will help you avoid being charged a re-inspection fee.
If you do not cancel before the cancellation deadline, you may have to pay a re-inspection fee when you re-book.
||Before 2:00pm on Friday. If Friday was a holiday, before Thursday 2:00pm.
||Before 2:00pm on Monday. If Monday was a holiday, before Friday 2:00pm.
||Before 2:00pm on Tuesday.
||Before 2:00pm on Wednesday.
||Before 2:00pm on Thursday.
Inspection fees are included in the permit.
However, you will have to pay a re-inspection fee of $163.00 plus GST if:
- You miss one or more meetings as a result of access
- The inspector finds incomplete work that had been identified on a previous inspection
- The inspector finds too many non-compliances
Guide to permit- and inspection-related fees
View the schedule of fees and permits (400 KB)
Location and mailing address
Development and Building Services Centre
515 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Z 4A8
Monday, Wednesday, Friday
8:30am to 4:30pm
8:30am to 4:00pm
Free 2-hour parking
West 10th Ave parking lot,
between Cambie and Yukon
The City of Vancouver is replacing combined sewer systems with separated sewer systems that carry storm drain water through different pipes than waste water.
This lowers the volume of water carried to the treatment plan, and reduces the risk of unprocessed water overflowing into our natural water ways.
Find out more