Theatre Rental Grant Program
Are you an established or an emerging arts or culture organization that needs a well-equipped venue to produce an event?
Check out the Theatre Rental Grants Program. Restrictions apply, so view the documents below for all of the details.
2016 applications are now closed, see below for 2017 application timeline
- Vancouver-based, non-profit, arts or culture organization
- In operation for at least one year before the application deadline
- Mandated to present, produce, create, or develop arts and cultural work
- Actively promote your events to a citywide audience
Your organization may apply for this grant to rent:
- The Orpheum
- The Annex
- Vancouver Playhouse
- Queen Elizabeth Theatre
- Queen Elizabeth Theatre Plaza and indoor ancillary spaces
Grant funding can pay for:
- Venue fees, including the services of IATSE and City of Vancouver technicians during your theatre rental
- Front-of-house fees for the performance time, pre-performance talks, and talkbacks
- Technical days and rehearsal uses, where resources permit
- Ancillary fees, where resources permit
The funding can't pay for:
- Fundraising events for a third party (such as a group other than the applicant society)
- Events that are primarily competitions
- Events that aren't aligned with the society's mandate
- Administration charges (insurance, licenses, security)
- Taxes (GST)
- Technical service charges above what's included in a technical day (stage crew wages, dance floor installation, use of video for projection or recording, piano tuning, and so on)
- Audience services labour for pre- and post-show events and receptions, and charges for merchandising, licensing and commission, additional security, stage door, and so on
- Stage crew wages beyond what is included within the rental fee
How to apply
- Read the information guide (45 KB)
The information guide has details about:
- Program description and objectives
- Eligible applicants and activities
- Rental rates
- Contact the Vancouver Civic Theatres booking and sales manager to check on venue availability and complete a booking request form.
- Phone: 604-665-3028
- Email: email@example.com
- Contact Cultural Services to confirm your organization's eligibility.
- Phone: 604-871-6045
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If your group and project are eligible, Cultural Services will email you an invitation to apply online.