There are alternatives to dumping
Abandoned garbage increases health and environmental risks, encourages more illegal dumping, and sends a message that illegal activity is okay in your neighbourhood. When you dispose of items properly, and when you report illegal dumping, you help improve the quality of life in your neighbourhood.
If you have an item that is not collected by the City's collection crews such as a mattress, large appliance, or furniture, you can:
- Donate the item to charity
- Bring the item to the Landfill
- Recycle the item
What is abandoned garbage?
The City considers the following items abandoned garbage:
- Garbage, sweepings, paper, litter or materials, including furniture and appliances
- Pamphlets and advertising distributed on the street, that are likely to be discarded
- Inadequately secured loads that spill from a vehicle