Tax Deferment Program

The Property Tax Deferment Program is a low-interest provincial loan program designed to help qualified BC home owners pay their annual property taxes.

New to the program?

You must pay all your arrears and penalties before applying for the program. 

Please submit to City Hall by the July tax due date:

  • Any arrears and penalties you owe
  • Your home owner grant
  • Your deferment application

Deferral options

For current year tax deferral, you have two options as a new applicant:

  1. Pay the February advance taxes and defer only the July main tax portion to avoid paying any penalties.
  2. Defer the full year's taxes and incur a 5% penalty on the advance amount. This penalty amount must be paid by the July tax due date. 

2017 tax due dates

Advance taxes: Thursday, February 2

Main taxes: Wednesday, July 5

Home owner grant: Wednesday, July 5

How much do you owe?

Get your account balance. No login or registration required.

Set up an online account. You will need your access code. It can be found on your tax notice.


Are you on the Tax Installment Pre-Payment Plan (TIPP)?

If you are on the Tax Installment Pre-Payment Plan (TIPP) and wish to defer your taxes, you must send in a separate request 30 days prior to the next payment date to cancel your TIPP payments. Depending on the timing of your cancellation, you may not have taxes left outstanding to defer in the current year. 

Please send this request by either:

Apply for your tax deferral

Steps to apply:

1. Fill out the Tax Deferment Program form that applies to you

2. Deliver your application form to City Hall

Renew your tax deferral

Once you’ve been approved for the program, you must send us a completed renewal application form to keep deferring your taxes in subsequent years.

You should receive a Statement of Account and a renewal application form from the Province by late May (around the same time your tax notice is sent). If you did not receive your renewal form in the mail, contact the Province at 1-250-356-8121.

Cancel or suspend your tax deferral

There are two ways to cancel your participation in the tax deferral program.

  1. Start paying property taxes for the current year while leaving your deferred balance owing. This will leave your deferment account open with the Province of BC even if you are paying your taxes some other way for a particular year.

  2. Pay the Province the amount of your deferred account balance in full. This will close your account with the Province, at which time they will notify us that you are no longer participating in the tax deferral program.

 To get your deferred account balance, please phone the Province at 250-356-8121.

 If you pay out your balance with the Province, you cannot submit a renewal form. You must reapply to the program.

Remember to claim your home owner grant

You must claim your home owner grant each year, even if you are paying through your mortgage or deferring your payment. 

 Some banks do not forward the remittance stub that contains your home owner grant application to us. If this is the case, claim your home owner grant. 

Claim your grant online