Home > Home, property, and development > Building and renovating > Green building and renovating > Green home building policies > Energy requirements for single family home renovations
Home renovations

Energy requirements for single family home renovations

The 2014 Vancouver Building Bylaw (VBBL) requires that you perform energy-efficient measures when you renovate your home. Any new work must also comply with the VBBL including ventilation systems, walls, roof, and room additions.

Renovating a larger building? Visit the energy requirements for large and retail and commercial buildings page.

VBBL upgrades depend on the year of the home and the cost of the project. Homes built after 2009 do not require an EnerGuide assessment.

Home renovations may require the following:

Total project cost EnerGuide Home Evaluation and upgrades required?
Less than $5,000 Not required
$5000 to $24,999 EnerGuide Home Evaluation
$25,000 to $49,999 EnerGuide Home Evaluation + air sealing
More than $50,000 EnerGuide Home Evaluation + air sealing + improve attic insulation

 Questions? Call 3-1-1 to talk to City of Vancouver staff about your total project cost. 

How to meet your renovation energy upgrade requirements

Before you start, talk to an expert.  

1. Answer a few questions about your project. 

2. Find an Energy Advisor.

3. Review your EnerGuide Home Evaluation and required upgrades.

For Energy Advisors and building professionals

As an Energy Advisor, you conduct EnerGuide home assessments and ensure homes under NRCan’s energy efficiency housing initiatives  meet the required standards. We've gathered some tools and resources for your quick reference.

Models and checklists

Energy models we accept and inspection checklists.

Resources for new work in renovations

Any new work completed as part of your renovation must meet the Vancouver Building Bylaw 2014 requirements. These documents can help you to meet the requirements.  

Resources for homeowners

Green home renovation guides

The Green Home Renovation Guide series covers common remodeling topics, giving helpful hints on materials and strategies to create a home that's healthy, saves money, and is easy on the environment.

Ask the Energy Coach

Call 1-844-881-9790

Monday to Friday: 9:00am to 5:00pm

Visit bcenergycoach.ca .

Contact us

Talk to City staff about renovations or new home updates.

EnerGuide and Energy Advisors

EnerGuide is a Canadian rating system for energy consumption. It describes a home’s energy efficiency. Energy Advisors are experts who are certified by Natural Resources Canada. They perform energy efficiency home evaluations according to EnerGuide standards, and provide advice and recommendations to both homeowners and home building professionals.

Do you need a permit for your renovation?

Most common renovation, construction, or maintenance projects require a city permit.

Find out if you need a permit for your project, and learn the value of the City's permitting system.

See if you need a permit