Local improvement charges

Buying or selling a property? Local improvement charges are added to a property's tax record

Efforts are made to make purchasers of property aware of pending local improvement charges by having remarks added to the tax record. 

If you were not aware of the local improvement charge when you bought your property, you are still required to pay for your share.The charge is attached to the property, not the owner.

When property owners receive improvements to their street or neighbourhood, the cost of those improvements may be shared between the adjacent owners and us.

You will be billed for your share of the cost of the improvement in the year following construction. 

Your notice of local improvement charge will be sent within the first two weeks of March.  

How to pay for local improvement charges 

You can pay for local improvements in two ways:

If you pay in one lump sum, you can pay it by:

  • Mail (or by dropping off) a cheque, made payable to City of Vancouver. It is helpful if you include your folio number on the cheque (the folio number can be found on the front of your tax notice)
  • Cash, in person at City Hall
  • Debit card, in person at City Hall

 Banks cannot accept lump-sum payments for local improvement charges.

Mailing address Drop-off location
Revenue Services,
City of Vancouver
PO Box 7747
Vancouver, BC V6B 8R1

Ground Floor, City Hall
453 West 12th Ave
Vancouver, BC V5Y 1V4

Monday to Friday
8:30am to 5:00pm 

You can pay for the improvement when you pay your taxes. Your share of the cost of a local improvement will be added to your main property tax notice, if you do not pay in one lump sum.

You can pay out your local improvement balance at any time instead of continuing with annual payments. Phone 3-1-1 to learn more.