Snow removal from streets and sidewalks
The City takes snow removal seriously. We have a comprehensive snow plan that includes street salting, plowing, enforcement, and emergency response.
Our priority locations for snow removal to keep the City moving
City crews keep major routes safe by salting and brining them before any snow or freezing rain starts.
Our priority locations for snow and ice removal are:
- Major roads
- Bus routes
- Emergency access routes (including five major hospitals and two health care facilities)
- The 15 most used bike routes and walkways
How you can help our crews
If you must drive during snowy or icy weather, avoid barricaded streets closed for your safety. You can use studded tires and chains between October 1 and April 30.
To help crews plow major roads more effectively, try to park your vehicle on side streets.
Keep sidewalks clear of snow and ice by 10:00am daily
Snow and ice on the sidewalk can be a barrier for many, particularly for seniors and persons with disabilities.
To keep our sidewalks and streets safe for pedestrians, drivers, and cyclists:
- Clear snow and ice from the full width of sidewalks that surround your property by 10:00am on the morning following a snowfall, seven days a week.
- Arrange for someone to clear your sidewalk if you are away or unable to clear it yourself.
- Help your elderly neighbours by clearing their sidewalk, too.
- Shovel snow onto your property, away from the road and sidewalk.
- Clear storm drains of leaves and snow to prevent flooding.
Note: Property owners, occupants, and tenants may be fined for not clearing the sidewalk around their property by the 10:00am deadline.