Snow removal from streets and sidewalks
Keeping city streets clear
The City takes snow removal seriously and will make consistent, coordinated efforts to keep main throughways clear.
What the City does
To maximize our efforts, we prioritize:
- Bus routes
- Arterial roadways
- Collector roadways
- Major collector streets
- Emergency access routes (and five major hospitals)
- Bike lanes
What you can do
If you drive:
- Do not try to drive on a street if it is blocked off with barricades. Please leave the barricades in place.
- If possible, avoid driving until conditions have improved; transit routes are among the priority routes to be plowed.
- If your car is on a major street, move it (if possible) to a side street. This will help City staff in plowing major arterial streets more effectively.
- You can use studded tires/chains between 1 October and 30 April .
Help keep the sidewalks safe in your community
Snow and ice on the sidewalk can be a barrier for many citizens, particularly seniors and persons with disabilities. A single uncleared portion of a sidewalk can negate the clearing efforts of the rest of the residents on the full block.
What you can do
To help keep city sidewalks safe in your community:
- Clear snow and ice from the full width of sidewalks that surrounds your property by 10 am on the morning following a snowfall, seven days a week.
- If you are away or are unable to clear your sidewalk yourself, please make arrangements for someone to clear it for you.
- Avoid shovelling snow onto sidewalks or the roadway, as it can be hazardous to pedestrians and vehicles.
- If the storm is over, the City has plowed, and snow begins to melt, please clear the snow around the catch basin in the gutter fronting your property. This will help the melt water runoff into the storm sewer system, and reduce flooding problems.
Want to help build community spirit? Become a snow angel.
For those who are unable to shovel their own sidewalk, lend a hand: adopt the sidewalk of a senior or a person with a mobility issue and keep it clear of snow and ice all winter long.