A final report was presented to Council in January 2017.
Terms of reference
Terms of reference were approved by Council on February 3, 2016.
The purpose of the Task Force is to recommend changes to Council concerning the delivery of municipal elections in the city of Vancouver that will lead to improved public confidence in the electoral processes at the municipal level and increase voter engagement – with a key goal being to increase voter turnout to at least 60% by 2025.
The Task Force is directed to produce a final report for consideration by Council in December 2016.
For more detail on the scope of work, read to the November 16, 2015, report Municipal Election – Report Back on Independent Election Task Force (60 KB)
Members need to have:
- Strong knowledge of the principles of democracy, effective operation of democratic institutions, and best practices regarding electoral systems and reform
- Experience in developing strategies and work plans and achieving success within a political environment
- Knowledge of the organization and operation of key provincial ministries
- No affiliation with a political party in the City of Vancouver for the past four elections
- Not been a City of Vancouver municipal candidate in any of the past four elections