Vancouver Fire Rescue Services recruitment Ride-Along program
Vancouver Fire Rescue Services receives hundreds of applications each year from men and women keen to pursue a firefighting career. Candidate Ride-Along evaluations are an important step in hiring our firefighters.
We select candidates for Ride-Alongs after they pass a three-hour written test, panel interview, and skills assessment.
Candidates learn from our fire crews about the daily life of a Vancouver firefighter and how we keep Vancouver's people, property, and environment safe.
Over two consecutive day shifts, our crews evaluate candidates:
- Doing drills, simulations, and chores around the fire hall
- Helping crews on emergency calls to get insight into our emergency response protocols (within strict guidelines to protect candidates and the public)
What Ride-Along candidates do
Candidates observe or assist in a limited capacity, and are accompanied by a firefighter or officer.
Under the direct supervision of our staff, candidates:
- May accompany crews to emergency calls and observe procedures
- May assist fire crews in carrying or packing away equipment
- Will not take part in any firefighting activities or provide any medical treatment
Our top priority is to keep the public, Ride-Along candidates, and our crews safe. We follow thorough safety precautions and operational guidelines at all times.
VFRS candidate ride-alongs
By City of Vancouver