Christmas tree recycling and chipping
- Bring your tree to a tree chipping event
- Put your tree out with your yard waste to be collected by the City
- Drop your tree off at the landfill or transfer station
Bring your tree for chipping, donate to charity
Every year on the first weekend of January, City staff and Lions Club volunteers provide Christmas tree chipping events. After the trees are chipped, they are taken to the Vancouver Landfill to be composted.
Your cash and non-perishable food donations collected at the events will be distributed to local charities.
Set out your tree with your food scraps and yard waste
If the City collects your food scraps and yard waste, you can set your live, cut Christmas tree out on your regular collection day.
Our crews will collect Christmas trees until January 31. Christmas trees are collected manually, using a different truck than the regular yard waste truck.
If your Christmas tree is not collected on your scheduled yard waste day, leave it set out for a later pickup.
To get your tree ready to be collected:
- Remove all decorations and tinsel
- Place the tree on its side, 1 m away from your garbage and green bins
- Leave the tree loose (do not place the tree in a bag, or bundle it with string or rope)
Drop off your tree at the Landfill or Transfer Station
You can bring your tree to the Vancouver Landfill or the Vancouver South Transfer Station for free until January 31. Remove all decorations and tinsel before dropping off your tree.