Restaurant patio

Pubs, clubs, restaurants, and café noise

Sometimes the music or entertainment from a club, pub, restaurant, or café is too loud and disturbs people in the area.

According to the Noise Control Bylaw, different sound levels (measured in decibels) are allowed under different conditions. For example:

  • If the interior sound level is greater than 90 decibels, the business must post a designated warning sign, in clear view, at the entrance.
  • If speakers are used, all components must be located within the building per the License Bylaw.

Read the bylaw

Noise Control Bylaw

Regulates noise or sound within the City of Vancouver.

Have a noise concern?

You can tell the City about most noise issues online.

Tell us online

Get help after hours

If the City helps with your noise issue (see the table at left) and today is a:

  • Weekday after 4:30pm
  • Weekend anytime
  • Holiday anytime

then contact the Vancouver Police Department at their non-emergency number. The Police assist with noise concerns, when resources are available.

Vancouver Police