Road construction

Noise from construction

Construction is a necessary—but often noisy—part of a growing and vibrant Vancouver.

Construction can take place at any time, so long as the noise does not affect others.

The Noise Control Bylaw specifies the hours and days when you can make construction-related noise. 

When you can make construction-related noise

Day of the week Private property City streets, lanes, and boulevards
Monday to Friday 7:30am -8:00pm 7:00am - 8:00pm
Saturday 10:00am - 8:00pm 7:00am - 8:00pm
Sunday No construction-related noise permitted 10:00am - 8:00pm
Holidays (actual) No construction-related noise permitted 10:00am - 8:00pm

 Outside of these hours, construction noise is only allowed with a noise bylaw exception permit.

What is a holiday?

A ‘holiday’ includes:

  • New Year's Day
  • Family Day
  • Good Friday
  • Easter Monday
  • Victoria Day
  • Canada Day
  • BC Day
  • Labour Day
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Remembrance Day
  • Christmas Day
  • Boxing Day

Additional holidays may be set by the BC Legislature, Lieutenant Governor of BC, Canadian Parliament, or the Governor General of Canada.

 See a list of statutory holidays in BC 2015 to 2018

What is construction?

Construction means any work involving:

  • Putting up, maintaining, altering, moving, and taking down a building
  • Clearing, excavating, and grading land
  • Laying pipes and conduits
  • Building a street
  • Bringing, changing, and removing materials and equipment

Doing construction?

Construction site cranes

Noise bylaw exception permit

A noise bylaw exception permit allows construction outside of the specified hours. Download the form, view the bylaw, find the fees, and more.

Get help after hours

Are you affected by excessive noise and today is a:

  • Weekday after 4:30pm?
  • Weekend anytime?
  • Holiday anytime?

The Police assists with noise concerns, when resources are available.

Vancouver Police

Read the bylaw

Noise Control Bylaw

Regulates noise or sound within the City of Vancouver.

Have a noise concern?

Report noise issues online