Terms of reference
The committee will:
- Ensure that effective communication and consultation of Vancouver's Urban Indigenous communities play a major role in the efforts of the committee to fulfill its mandate
- Strive to develop and maintain a positive relationship with other individuals, groups, agencies, and others, who are addressing issues of concern to Vancouver Urban Indigenous Peoples
- Advise Council and staff on the City of Reconciliation Framework as it is developed, implemented and updated
The committee may:
- Assist the efforts of other agencies, organizations, and others who are addressing issues of concern t Vancouver Urban Indigenous Peoples
- Research, study, or investigate areas of concern for Vancouver Urban Indigenous Peoples in order to develop advice and make recommendations
- Solicit input and receive advice, recommendations, reports, or concerns from individuals or groups addressing issues of concern to Vancouver Urban Indigenous Peoples, and recommend appropriate action
- Facilitate decision making on municipal matters, such as community services, planning and design to regularize the consultation process
- Provides input to City Council and staff about issues of concern
- Considers any matters which may be referred to the committee by Council or staff
- May take positions on policy initiatives from other levels of government within the mandate of the committee
- Works co-operatively with other agencies whose activities affect constituent communities, including initiating and developing relevant projects
- Acts as a resource for staff doing public involvement processes and civic events
Awareness and outreach
- Exchanges information with the constituent communities and the general public about relevant programs and issues of interest
- Engages in outreach to disseminate information and encourage participation from constituent communities
Planning and reporting
- Produces an annual work plan with specific objectives by no later than April of each year, in consultation with Council and staff liaisons, for distribution to Council and civic departments for information
- Presents accomplishments and progress to date at the annual Council of Councils event
- Submits an annual report to Council describing its accomplishments for the year, including reference to each objective set out in the work plan and any arising issues to which the committee has responded
Will be announced when they are created by the committee.
The committee meets six times a year and does not meet in August. Generally, the committee meets once a month on a Monday at City Hall.
Committee meetings last approximately 2 hours. About 2 additional hours a month is spent on email and other correspondence, meetings, research, and networking. Preparation for all meetings is required.
Members may miss no more than two consecutive meetings without obtaining leave of absence from the committee. Membership will be terminated following the second such absence.