Terms of reference
Terms of reference approved by Council on February 27, 2019.
- Provides input to City Council and staff about issues of concern
- Considers any matters which may be referred to the committee by Council or staff
- May take positions on policy initiatives from other levels of government within the mandate of the committee
- Works co-operatively with other agencies whose activities affect constituent communities, including initiating and developing relevant projects
- Acts as a resource for staff doing public involvement processes and civic events
Awareness and outreach
- Exchanges information with the constituent communities and the general public about relevant programs and issues of interest
- Engages in outreach to disseminate information and encourage participation from constituent communities
Planning and reporting
- Produces an annual work plan with specific objectives by no later than April of each year, in consultation with Council and staff liaisons, for distribution to Council and civic departments for information
- Presents accomplishments and progress to date at the annual Council of Councils event
- Submits an annual report to Council describing its accomplishments for the year, including reference to each objective set out in the work plan and any arising issues to which the committee has responded
The committee holds regular meetings six times per year, in addition to working sessions throughout the year.
In addition to preparation time for regular meetings and working sessions, committee members typically spend time on research, correspondence, as well as attending events relevant to the committee.
Members may miss no more than two consecutive meetings without obtaining a leave of absence from the committee. Membership will be terminated following the second such absence.