Adopt a pet
Want to adopt a pet and give them a "forever" home? We're thrilled! Our pro-adoption shelter places 200 to 300 dogs and small animals every year with families and homes that best meet the needs of the animals.
On this page:
All animals need attention, interaction, and adequate exercise. Recognize the impact of bringing a pet into your home.
- Prepare for a long-term emotional and financial commitment.
- Make time to interact with your pet.
- Consider the allergies and health conditions of people in your home.
- Check for restrictions on pets at your home.
- Ensure you have enough space.
- Consider your surrounding outdoor areas.
Selecting your pet
- Choose the right pet for your personality and circumstances.
- Research the behaviours and characteristics of the pet you're considering.
Adopting a dog
If you adopt a dog, you'll also need to:
- Licence it
- Make sure it wears its collar and licence tag
- Teach it basic obedience
- Use a leash
- Pick up its waste
We have dogs of all ages, from newborn puppies to senior dogs. While puppies are popular, older dogs can be great pets, too. They are smart and grateful companions that won't leave you with puppy puddles or chewed-up slippers. Why not enrich your life and that of an older dog?
We also adopt out small animals including rabbits, hamsters, birds, rats, guinea pigs, and sometimes reptiles.
Visit the pets in person at 1280 Raymur Ave during our adoption and viewing hours (see location and hours on this page).
To adopt a cat, contact the Vancouver SPCA and Vancouver Orphan Kitten Rescue Association (VOKRA) .
- Phone 3-1-1 (604-873-7000 outside Vancouver) to request a meet-and-greet with the pet you want to adopt and our kennel staff. For your visit, you need to bring everyone who will live with the pet. Our kennel staff will discuss with you if the pet will be a good fit for your whole family.
- Adopting a dog? You'll get take it for a walk to see how it behaves outside of the shelter. If you already own a dog, you'll need to bring your dog to meet the one you want to adopt.
- Complete our adoption application to tell us about your family, home, lifestyle, and experience with past pets.
- Adopting a dog? You may get to take it for one more walk before we make our decision.
- We review your application based on what's best for your family and for the pet you want to adopt, rather than on a first-come, first-served basis.
- We contact your references and landlord or property manager to make sure your pet will meet any housing requirements.
- We usually take four to five days to decide on your application. This can take longer if your pet needs to see our vet or has other needs that we have to take care of first.
|Senior dog (age 7 years and older)||$86.00|
|Dog with ongoing medical conditions||$86.00|
Taxes are extra.
The adoption fee for dogs includes:
- Neutering or spaying
- Six weeks of pet insurance
- The first set of vaccinations
- The first vet check-up
- A free bag of dog food
If you are a Vancouver resident, you also need to buy a dog licence for the dog you adopt.
|Budgies and finches||$10.00|
|Chinchillas, hedgehogs, and rabbits||$31.00|
|Gerbils, hamsters, mice, and rats||$5.00|
|Lovebirds and parakeets||$16.00|
Taxes are extra.