Caring for your pet

Dog on bench with owner

Your pet is like family to you, and you want to make sure that all of your family is healthy and happy.

We understand that bond and that desire, and we have information here to help you, from dog obedience to pet safety in emergencies to spaying and neutering.

Pet care resources

Dog and other pet classes

Looking for dog obedience classes in Vancouver? The Vancouver Park Board offers a variety of programs for dogs and other pets. Find out when and where these programs are offered.

Off-leash dog areas

Find out about dog parks and off-leash areas in Vancouver: where they are, what the rules are, and more.

Spay or neuter your dog

Spaying or neutering your pet can enhance its life and yours. View the ways here.

Keep pets safe during emergencies

Learn how to prepare your pets for an earthquake or other natural disaster in Vancouver.

Pet cremation

The City no longer offers cremation for pets. Please contact a veterinarian or pet cremation service provider.

Responsible dog ownership

Owning a dog is a happy experience, but it's a lot of responsibility too. Be aware of everything that you will have to do if you own a dog.


Situation Contact
Animal locked in vehicle in hot weather Call the SPCA at 604-879-7721 or 604-879-7343
Animal cruelty Call the SPCA at 604-879-7721 or 604-879-7343
Animal up a tree / on a roof Check the Yellow Pages; do not call the Fire Department.
Injured pet, except cats Call Animal Control at 3-1-1
Injured cat Call SPCA at 604-879-7721 or 604-879-7343
Stray or abandoned pet rabbit, bird, rat or mouse, reptile, snake Call Animal Control at 3-1-1
Stray or abandoned cat Call the SPCA at 604-879-7721 or 604-879-7343
Animal in another municipality Contact the animal control shelter in that municipality.
Dead pet (over 150 lbs) Check the Yellow Pages for a company to handle the cremation. The City does not handle an animal over 150 lbs.
Pet of yours that you wish to surrender Call the SPCA at 604-879-7721 or 604-879-7343
Stray animal that you wish to turn in Call Animal Control at 3-1-1


Ask. Tell. Connect.

Phone 3-1-1 to ask, tell, and connect with the City

Outside Vancouver:

Speak your own language

When should you call 9-1-1? Click to find out       Deaf? Have difficulty speaking? Click to learn how to make a TTY call

More ways to contact us

Last modified: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 16:42:31

Off-leash dog areasSpay or neuter your dogPet safety in emergenciesPet cremation