Construction damage deposit
Most building projects in Vancouver – renovations or new construction – will require a refundable damage deposit before the building permit is issued. This deposit will cover damage to City property such as sidewalks.
Process and timeline
- An inspector will inspect the site after you apply for the building permit. The inspector will take photographs at that time to document the situation.
- When you come in to pick up your permit, you pay the damage deposit and the inspection fee.
- Once the permit is issued, an inspector will check the site for any changes since the initial inspection, and will update the information on file at that time.
- After the construction work is completed, call Engineering Services to book an inspection of the City property. The inspection will typically be scheduled within 1 week (5 business days).
- The inspection will take 30-45 minutes for a single-family home, and longer for multi-family, commercial or industrial sites.
- The deposit will be used to pay for repairs to any new damage to City property. The balance of the deposit will be refunded to you. You will receive the cheque about 4 weeks after the final inspection.