Regulations, bulletins, and advisories
Construction and renovation work in Vancouver is regulated by local bylaws and guidelines including:
- Vancouver Building Bylaw
- Vancouver Fire Bylaw
- Zoning and Development Bylaw
- Health Bylaw
- Parking Bylaw
- Noise Control Bylaw
- Protection of Trees Bylaw
Construction and renovation work is also regulated by provincial regulations including:
- Gas Safety Regulation, BC Safety Authority
- Electrical safety regulation, BC Safety Authority
- Asbestos-handling guidelines, Worksafe BC
- Contaminated sites regulation, BC Ministry of Environment
Bulletins and advisories
In addition to bylaws, the City issues bulletins and advisories with:
- Explanatory information on building regulations and processes (technical and administrative)
- Interpretations of building, fire, and electrical bylaws
Stay current on bulletins and advisories by using the bulletins and advisories database, below.
If you have questions about:
- The theory or intent behind bulletins or advisories, email the Chief Building Official, at right.
- How bulletins or advisories will be implemented, phone Development Services, at right.
Each bulletin has a code which includes the year it was issued, and the area it relates to.
For example, bulletin 2000-015-BU/EL was issued in 2000, was the 15th bulletin issued that year, and relates to building and electrical topics.
|SP||Sprinkler (fire sprinkler)|