Terms of reference
The LGBTQ2+ Advisory Committee:
- Exchanges information with the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, two-spirited and queer communities and the general public about relevant programs and issues of interest
- Engages in outreach to the LGBTQ2+ communities to disseminate information and encourage participation
- Works co-operatively with other civic agencies whose activities affect LGBTQ2+ communities, including initiating and developing relevant projects
- Provides input to City Council and city staff about issues of concern, including matters that require action by the City
- Acts as a resource for staff doing public involvement processes
- Works with city staff to ensure that City facilities and events are accessible for people who identify as outside the gender binary
- Provides input to City Council and staff about issues of concern
- Considers any matters which may be referred to the committee by Council or staff
- May take positions on policy initiatives from other levels of government within the mandate of the committee
- Works co-operatively with other agencies whose activities affect constituent communities, including initiating and developing relevant projects
- Acts as a resource for staff doing public involvement processes and civic events
Awareness and outreach
- Exchanges information with the constituent communities and the general public about relevant programs and issues of interest
- Engages in outreach to disseminate information and encourage participation from constituent communities
Planning and reporting
- Produces an annual work plan with specific objectives by no later than April of each year, in consultation with Council and staff liaisons, for distribution to Council and civic departments for
- Submits an annual report to Council describing its accomplishments for the year, including reference to each objective set out in the work plan and any arising issues to which the committee has responded
People who are not members of the committee itself may serve on a subcommittee or workgroup. Membership on a subcommittee requires a time commitment of up to 4 hours every month or as activity requires.
Currently, the LGBTQ2+ Advisory Committee has these subcommittees and workgroups:
- Housing to Home
- Safe, Healthy and Engaged Communities
- Davie Village Revitalization
- Communications and Engagement
Email us if you are interested in joining a subcommittee or workgroup.
The committee is required to meet four times a year, and does not meet in August. Meetings are generally held on the fourth Thursday of the month at 5:30pm at City Hall.
Committee meetings last approximately 2 to 3 hours. Time outside of meetings must also be spent on correspondence, meetings, research and networking. Preparation time for all meetings is required.
Members may miss no more than four consecutive meetings without obtaining leave of absence from the committee. Membership will be terminated following the fourth such absence.