Terms of reference
The Urban Design Panel Bylaw establishes the Panel, and describes its membership and duties.
Function and Authority
Panel meetings are open to public attendance but the meetings are not a forum for public comment. Depending on the type of project process, there are always opportunities for public input. Please note that recording and filming of the panel by the public is not generally allowed. To obtain a copy of the audio recording for a meeting please contact the Meeting Coordinator.
Panel meetings are held every two weeks throughout the year. Special meetings are convened when necessary. The meetings are normally held on Wednesdays at 4:00pm in the Town Hall Meeting Room, 1st Floor, City Hall, 453 West 12th Ave. Public attendance is permitted, however, the public may not address the panel.
The panel meetings are conducted by the elected chairperson in the following manner:
- The Development Planner introduces the project to the panel (referring to its location, context, background, scope and response to established bylaws and design guidelines)
- The applicant is given the opportunity to clarify any aspects of the plan to the panel (no presentation is required of the applicant)
- The panel members review the project material and provide comments and observations
- The Chairperson summarizes the comments of the panel
- The panel then votes for either “Support”, “Non-Support” or “Deferral”
- Detailed minutes of the meeting are distributed to the applicant and all relevant City staff and approving authorities
Members may miss no more than four consecutive meetings without obtaining leave of absence from the panel. Membership will be terminated following the fourth such absence.