Still photography in parks
Do you need a permit?
You need a permit if your photo shoot will:
- Block public access
- Require a major setup
- Be commercial in nature
Otherwise, you don't need a permit.
Not sure? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a consultation.
Prices do not include tax.
- No vehicles on site
- Very limited set up
- Less than 3 hours in duration
- Duration of 3 hours or more, or
- Involves a more complicated setup
How to apply
Apply at least two weeks before the day you want to do your photo shoot.
- Complete the filming or photography application . (205 KB)
- Read our insurance requirements, terms and conditions, and Park Board bylaw requirements on page 2 of the application form.
- Email a copy of your insurance and site map to email@example.com.
- Pay your permit fee online.
Still photography outside of parks
You need a permit for all still photography shoots that are on City of Vancouver property, besides parks. Contact us if you have questions about this.
There is a $100 non-refundable application fee associated with all film and photography applications outside of parks.
Additional fees apply if you require City of Vancouver services, including but not limited to, 'temporary' no parking zones or police for traffic control or weapons escort.
Student filming in parks
For information about available times, fees, requirements, and more, email the Park Board Special Events and Filming Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The school must have a legal agreement and current insurance in place with the City of Vancouver
- A master film agreement is required
- There are fees charged for student filming when this takes place in a City park
- Only handheld equipment will be approved
- Download the application for filming and photography (156 KB)
Student filming outside of parks
There are no film permit application fees for film school projects that meet the following criteria:
- The school must have a legal agreement and current insurance in place with the City of Vancouver.
- The project must be assigned by the instructor and be part of the curriculum.
- All personnel working on the project are doing so without financial compensation.
- The project is for academic use only, not to be used for commercial gain.
Fees apply if you need City services, like posting "temporary no stopping" signs, reserving parking meters, or hiring police for traffic control or weapons escort.
How to apply
Apply at least four business days before the day you want to do your photo shoot.
- Complete the student application to film (500 KB).
- Email your application in PDF file format to email@example.com from your school email account.