Photography and student filming

A woman in pink standing under a cherry tree in bloom

All still photography and student filming on public property must be approved by the City's Film Office before you start working. This includes any changes to your schedule or activities.

Your location manager must be on set and is responsible to the City and community for all of your project's activity.

Still photography in parks

Do you need a permit?

You need a permit if your photo shoot will:

  • Block public access
  • Require a major setup
  • Be commercial in nature

Otherwise, you don't need a permit.

Not sure? Email us at for a consultation.

Permit fees

Prices do not include tax.

Category Criteria Fee

Level 1

  • No vehicles on site
  • Very limited set up
  • Less than 3 hours in duration


Level 2

  • Duration of 3 hours or more, or
  • Involves a more complicated setup


How to apply

Apply at least two weeks before the day you want to do your photo shoot.

  1. Complete the filming or photography application (205 KB).
  2. Read our insurance requirements, terms and conditions, and Park Board bylaw requirements on page 2 of the application form.
  3. Email a copy of your insurance and site map to
  4. Pay your permit fee online.

Still photography outside of parks

You need a permit for all still photography shoots that are on City of Vancouver property, besides parks. Contact us if you have questions about this.

Permit fees

There is a $100 non-refundable application fee associated with all film and photography applications outside of parks.

Additional fees apply if you require City of Vancouver services, including but not limited to, 'temporary' no parking zones or police for traffic control or weapons escort.

Student filming in parks

For information about available times, fees, requirements, and more, email the Park Board Special Events and Filming Office at

 Before applying:

  • The school must have a legal agreement and current insurance in place with the City of Vancouver
  • A master film agreement is required
  • There are fees charged for student filming when this takes place in a City park
  • Only handheld equipment will be approved
  • Download the application for filming and photography  (156 KB)

Student filming outside of parks

Permit fees

There are no film permit application fees for film school projects that meet the following criteria:

  • The school must have a legal agreement and current insurance in place with the City of Vancouver.
  • The project must be assigned by the instructor and be part of the curriculum.
  • All personnel working on the project are doing so without financial compensation.
  • The project is for academic use only, not to be used for commercial gain.

Fees apply if you need City services, like posting "temporary no stopping" signs, reserving parking meters, or hiring police for traffic control or weapons escort.

How to apply

Apply at least four business days before the day you want to do your photo shoot.

  1. Complete the student application to film  (500 KB).
  2. Email your application in PDF file format to from your school email account.

Contact the Film and Special Events Office

Film and Special Events Office
450 SW Marine Drive
Vancouver BC V5X 0C3

Fax: 604-257-8859

Send an inquiry

Make a complaint about filming

Make a complaint about a special event

Contact the Park Board Special Events Office

Special Events &
Filming Office
2099 Beach Ave
Vancouver, BC V6G 1Z4 (mailing address only)

Phone: 604-257-8516 

Fax: 604-257-8501