Updated strategy to Council
December 5, 2018 - Staff presented to City Council the second iteration of the Climate Change Adaptation Strategy, which includes a new set of priority and supporting actions and several new focus areas.
Strategy update to Council
November 2, 2016 - Staff presented to City Council on preparing for sea level rise based on findings from Phase 2 of the Coastal Flood Risk Assessment.
Council adopts amendments to the building bylaw to address the increased risk of flood damage
July 9, 2014 - As part of the overall strategy to ensure Vancouver is ready for the impacts of climate change and the increased risk of flood damage, Council adopted amendments to the building bylaw that raise flood construction levels.
- View the flood construction level bylaw amendments in an administrative report PDF file (2.4 MB)
- Learn what else the city is doing about rising sea levels in a presentation to council PDF file (2.9 MB)
First Canadian municipality to adopt a comprehensive climate change adaptation strategy
July 25, 2012 - The City of Vancouver became the first Canadian municipality to adopt such a strategy based on the proven Local Governments for Sustainability (ICLEI) planning framework; joining other leading cities nationally and provincially in preparing for the anticipated impacts from climate change.
Continuing to build on existing climate change adaptation measures
July 2012 - The City started work on several primary actions including integrated stormwater management planning, flood-proofing policy review, and urban forest management planning.
- Climate Change Adaptation Strategy 2018 PDF file (415 KB)
- Climate Change Adaptation Strategy 2012 PDF file (2 MB)
- Coastal Flood Risk Assessment final report PDF file (11 MB)
- Coastal Flood Risk Assessment scenario 3 maps PDF file (16 MB)
- Coastal Flood Risk Assessment scenario 3 maps – Fraser River PDF file (19 MB)