Guide to moving

Tips to make your move easier

Parking during and after your move, waste disposal, recreation,
dog licences, and transportation in Vancouver.


Seven days before your moving day, apply for a temporary permit to park a moving truck at reserved parking spaces or meters.

Residential permit parking

Moving to a permit parking zone 

To get a permit:

  1. Before you buy a permit, read the rules, the eligibility requirements, documents you’ll need, fees, where to attach your decal, and refund policy.
  2. Buy your permit online, by phone at 3-1-1, or in person.
  3. If you successfully purchase your permit online, you may start parking in the permit zone 3 hours after you apply.

Moving out of a permit parking zone

To get a pro-rated refund:

  1. Check that you have more than 30 days left on the permit. 
  2. Remove the permit decal from your vehicle.
  3. Return the decal in person to:
    • Vancouver City Hall, Revenue Services, 453 W 12th Ave (8:30am to 5pm)
    • West End Community Centre Permit Parking Counter, 870 Denman St (2 to 5pm)

Waste disposal

Search our Waste Wizard by item to see how to recycle or dispose of it.

Pickup schedules

Never miss a pickup day! Look up your schedule online and sign up for reminders on the VanCollect app.

You may also pick up a printed schedule.

Getting bins

The City provides homes with one garbage bin and one green bin.

If you own the property, you may change your bin size or replace garbage bins and green bins

What we collect

We collect garbage and green waste (food scraps and yard waste). 
We do not pick up recycling, big items (mattresses, furniture, appliances), or electronics.


Load the OneCard with any of our passes and access Park Board pools, ice rinks and fitness centres, and participating community centres across the city.

Dog licences

Dogs three months and older, including service dogs, need an annual licence. A dog licence makes it easier for us to reunite you and your pet if your dog goes missing or if there is an emergency.

Moved within Vancouver

Update your address

New to Vancouver

Apply for a dog licence


Review the signs, signals, road markings, and regulations you’ll see in Vancouver so you know where you can walk or ride your bicycle safely.


TransLink   provides public transit in Metro Vancouver, including:

  • Bus
  • SkyTrain
  • SeaBus
  • West Coast Express

Cycling maps

Get our annual cycling map   (11 MB), showing Vancouver’s bikeways and greenways.

If you ride your bike into or out of Vancouver, check TransLink's cycling maps  , maintained by the regional transportation agency.