Reserve parking spaces and parking meters with temporary special zone permits

Street use requests

We are limiting the number of street use requests granted in commercial areas from December 7, 2020 to January 3, 2021.

With an expected increase in demand for street space during the holiday period, these restrictions will be in place to support businesses.

Temporary special zone permits allow you to reserve parking spaces and parking meters for:

  • Construction waste containers and bins
  • Construction work
  • Deliveries (for example, when a crane lift is needed)
  • Moving and storage containers
  • Moving trucks
  • Service work (for example, window cleaning, sign installation)

  These permits are not issued for crew parking purposes.


Apply for your permit seven business days before you need the reserved parking spaces or parking meters.

This gives the City time to post parking restriction signs and cover parking meters in advance.

If emergency roadwork is required during the time you have reserved parking meters, the emergency work will take priority.

Apply for a temporary special zone permit

  1. Record the following information:
    • Location you need to reserve parking spaces
    • Existing parking regulations at the location
    • Date, time, and duration of your work
    • Details about your work
    • Extent of street use needed (parking lane only, or more)
  2. Apply for your permit. Register for an account and submit your application online. 
    Apply online

‚Äč Apply for your permit in advance. Seven business days is required for all applications. 

  • You must conclude and pay for your permit by 10am seven (7) working days in advance of the permit start date to allow for scheduling and installation of temporary signage.
  • Provide the information in step 1.
  • You may also apply for your permit in person at Engineering Client Services (see contact on this page).
  1. Receive your permit.
    • Simple, in-person applications are generally approved right away.
    • Emailed, in-person, and on-line applications must be collected and paid for in person at Engineering Client Services or through your online account by 10am three business days before your permit starts.

Contact Engineering Client Services

5th floor, Crossroads
507 West Broadway (at Cambie St)
Vancouver, BC
V5Z 0B4

Monday to Friday (except holidays)
8:30am to 5pm

Phone: 604-871-6730


Read the by-law

Street & Traffic Bylaw

Regulates traffic, the use of streets, and the size and weight of vehicles that are permitted to travel on City of Vancouver streets.