Air space subdivisions
Submission requirements for "air space" subdivision proposals
An air space application must depict at least one volumetric air space parcel, as well as a non-volumetric Remainder parcel tied to one of the primary building components/uses.
To allow sufficient time for staff review and preparation of legal agreements, the application should be submitted at least 6 to 8 months prior to the expected occupancy of development.
A preliminary proposal must include the following:
1. A letter of application, which clearly states:
- the property address and legal description;
- the name, address, telephone and fax numbers of the person making the application; and
- reference to the development application number or rezoning application, and
the intended use of the proposed parcels, including a detailed list of the uses and facilities to be contained in each parcel.
2. A letter of authorization from the property owner if you are acting on their behalf.
3. A non-refundable fee (cheques should be payable to the "City of Vancouver"), as follows:
- for developments having a Floor Space Ratio (FSR) greater than 3.0: $96,700.
- for developments having a Floor Space Ratio (FSR) of 3.0 or smaller, or where the application is solely for the purpose of creating air space parcels to secure separate tenure for public benefits such as: libraries, theatres and other cultural amenities; for-profit affordable rental housing; social housing; and day care: $49,100.
4. A current title search of the properties involved in the proposal, including a copy of any non-financial charges, notations, liens or interests. A charge summary is also required, which must include a lawyer’s opinion as to any impacts the subdivision will have on non-financial charges, notations, liens or interests.
5. A survey plan showing the legal description, dimensions of site, street name(s), and location, as well as location and width of any lane(s); or alternatively, a draft air space subdivision plan.
6. One set of architectural drawings of the development, on 11" by 17" paper, showing colour overlays of the proposed air space parcel boundaries at every relevant level of the development (floor plans and sections).
7. A copy of a code report prepared by a code consultant or Certified Professional, indicating how the air space parcels will comply with or satisfy an equivalency with Section 22.214.171.124 of the Vancouver Building By-law , at each air space boundary.
PDF copies of all documents should also be provided on a USB Flash Drive or similar.
Proposals can be delivered to the Development and Building Services Centre, Ground Floor (515 West 10th Avenue), to the attention of the Subdivision Group, or mailed to:
The Approving Officer, Development Services
City of Vancouver
453 West 12th Avenue
Vancouver, B.C. V5Y 1V4
For further information, please call 604-871-6627 or 604-873-7556, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The information contained in this website is intended as an overview about the Subdivision and Strata Title process. This information should not be construed as legal documentation. It departs from the necessary legal and technical terminology used in the Vancouver Charter and applicable City by-laws. Any contradiction, dispute, or difference between the contents of this website and applicable City by-laws, policies or guidelines will be resolved by reference to the by-laws or other official documents.