How to submit your Empty Homes Tax declaration

The February 4, 2019, declaration deadline has passed. You can submit a late declaration for the 2018 tax year.

 The City's Empty Homes Tax is separate from the provincial government’s Speculation and Vacancy Tax. If you have an enquiry about the Province's tax, please refer to the Province's website  or call 1-833-554-2323.

The information you provide on your declaration will determine if your property is subject to the Empty Homes Tax for this period.

Late declarations are open

 You will be required to pay your bylaw ticket before making your late declaration. The dispute period has closed. 

Your declaration should take approximately five minutes to complete.

You may give permission for someone to submit your declaration on your behalf. Only one declaration is required per property.

What you will need:

 Ensure you fulfill the requirements of your property status at the time you declare.

Pay bylaw ticket or submit declaration 

Audit process

Property status declarations will be subject to an audit process, in line with best practices for provincial and federal tax programs. If your property is selected for an audit, you will be asked to provide evidence in support of your declaration.

False declarations will result in fines of up to $10,000 per day of the continuing offense, in addition to payment of the tax.

Need assistance with your online declaration?

Learn more about the Empty Homes Tax

Chat with an online representative

Access Live Chat
(Bottom right-hand corner of this page.)

Get assistance when making your online property status declaration

City staff will be available to assist you at City Hall during opening hours.

Vancouver City Hall
453 West 12th Avenue
​Monday to Friday (except holidays)
8:30 am – 5pm

 Line-ups may be long.

Staff at Vancouver Public Library locations  will also be available to assist you with technical and information support.

You will need a library card to access the computers at the library. If you don't have one, you can use a temporary internet card instead, which you can get by presenting your ID to the service desk at your local library. 

Still have questions? Can't find an answer to your Empty Homes Tax question?

Tell us about it now!

Phone 3-1-1
(Outside Vancouver: 604-873-7000)