Declaration system slower than usual
The declaration system is currently open; however, it's undergoing additional maintenance that may result in slower than usual page loading times.
Thank you for your continued patience as we work to resolve this issue.
Residential property owners are required to make a property status declaration each year, to determine whether their property will be subject to the Empty Homes Tax. Even if you live in your home, you must make a declaration every year.
Your declaration should take approximately 5 minutes to complete.
Important note Only one declaration is required per property. For example: if you co-own a property, only one owner needs to declare.
Important note If you fail to declare by the deadline, your property will be deemed vacant and subject to a tax of 3% of its assessed taxable value for the 2022 tax year, and a $250 by-law ticket.
You may give permission for someone to submit your declaration on your behalf.
What you will need:
- Your folio number and access code [these can be found on your property tax notices PDF file (192 KB)]
- Additional information, such as tenant names, court order number, permit number, etc.
Important note Ensure you fulfill the requirements of your property status at the time you declare.
Step-by-step guide to making your declaration
- Instructions (November 2022) PDF file (249 KB)
- 房屋空置稅項下的房屋居住狀態申報說明 (2022 年11月) PDF file (671 KB)
- 房屋空置税项下的房屋居住状态申报说明 (2022 年11月) PDF file (661 KB)
- ਖਾਲੀ ਘਰਾਂ ਤੇ ਟੈਕਸ ਸੰਬੰਧੀ ਪ੍ਰਾਪਰਟੀ ਦੀ ਸਥਿਤੀ ਦਾ ਐਲਾਨ ਭਰਨ ਬਾਰੇ ਹਿਦਾਇਤਾਂ (ਨਵੰਬਰ, 2022) PDF file (238 KB)
- Mga tagubilin para sa deklarasyon ng katayuan ng pabahay (Nobyembre 2022) PDF file (505 KB)
- Hướng dẫn kê khai tình trạng nhà ở (tháng 11 năm 2022) PDF file (329 KB)
All property status declarations are potentially subject to an audit process, in line with best practices for provincial and federal tax programs.
False declarations will result in fines of up to $10,000 per day of the continuing offense, in addition to payment of the tax.
Empty Homes Tax due dates
Previous years' unpaid tax added to property tax bill: December 31, 2022
Declaration for 2022: February 2, 2023
Empty Homes Tax payment for 2022: April 14, 2023
Phone 3-1-1 for questions or interpretations.
(Outside Vancouver: 604-873-7000)
Speculation and Vacancy Tax
Our Empty Homes Tax is separate from the provincial government’s Speculation and Vacancy Tax.