If your dog is licensed and wearing its tag, Animal Services will contact you and make all efforts to reunite you with your lost dog.
Reporting lost pets online
To find lost pets, you can also create a lost pet report online.
Important information If reporting your cat lost, in addition to completing the form, contact the BC SPCA External website, opens in new tab
Other tips for finding your pet
- Create a post on Craigslist with a picture and description of your pet - our staff check these reports regularly
- Create a post on the Missing Pets in BC page on Facebook
- Inquire at shelters outside of Vancouver
Reporting stray dogs
We return licensed dogs that were loose to their owners. Unlicensed dogs are placed in kennels until their owners claim them.
Dogs that aren't claimed by their owners will be held for at least three business days before we evaluate them for adoption.
If you're holding a loose dog, report it online to have us pick it up for free. Or, drop the stray dog off at the Vancouver Animal Shelter during opening hours.
Reporting stray cats
For stray cats, contact the BC SPCA External website, opens in new tab
Preventing your dog getting lost
Buy a dog licence. It dramatically increases your chances of reuniting with your dog if it's ever lost. Your dog gets one free ride home per calendar year to avoid being taken to our shelter.
You can also:
- Shut and latch your fence gates
- Install screens on your windows and doors
- Keep your pets indoors during events with fireworks like New Year's Eve, Halloween, and Canada Day
- Spay or neuter your dogs so they're less likely to roam for mates