Print

Annual transportation survey

The annual transportation survey is commissioned to better understand the travel behaviour and preferences of our residents.

The survey findings help us make better decisions about transportation investments in the city.

What's happening

Starting in early September, MUSTEL GROUP, a local market research firm, will invite past panelists to participate again. In a typical year, approximately 70% of panelists return to complete the survey again. The remaining 30% or so will be replaced by new participants.

If you get a call from MUSTEL GROUP, please participate

The results of the survey help us make more informed infrastructure investment decisions by gauging progress in sustainable transportation trends and providing insights into vehicle-kilometres traveled (VKT) by residents.

The survey takes about 15 minutes of your time and is open until the end of November.

All participants who complete a trip diary are invited to enter a prize draw with over 240 prizes ranging from $25 to $1000 in value!

How does it work?

Every fall, we invite residents ages 18 and over to participate in the transportation survey using a random telephone recruitment method that includes calling both cell phones and landlines.

Residents who choose to participate are registered into the survey by answering a few questions about their current travel behaviour and mobility preferences. The participant must then complete a 1-day trip diary in which they record their travel for a single assigned day into an online form. On average, the trip diary takes approximately 15 minutes to complete.

Key findings from the 2018 transportation survey

Walk, bike and transit trips increased to
Residents with a car share membership increased to
Vehicle trips decreased by
VKT per capita decreased by

Read the 2018 transportation summary report (10 MB)

MUSTEL GROUP

MUSTEL GROUP has been working with the City of Vancouver to deliver the transportation survey for the past seven years. They're a team of collaborative research experts delivering custom market research solutions in both the public and private sectors, helping organizations maximize their potential for over 40 years.

Learn more about MUSTEL GROUP

Transportation 2040 Plan

Our plan provides a vision for how people and goods move in and around Vancouver for the next 30 years.