Different businesses need different business licences in Vancouver

Types of businesses

Any organization doing business in or from Vancouver must have a business licence.

Other permits and licences

To find out what other kinds of permits and licences you might need, including provincial and federal, as well as municipal requirements, visit BizPal.

Important: Your business and your location

Before you purchase or sign a lease for your business location, check with the Development and Building Services Centre first to make sure that you will be able to conduct your type of business in those premises.

There are different requirements under the Zoning & Development Bylaw and the Building Bylaw for different uses. Each space in a building has its own specified approved use and sometimes the use of that space cannot be changed without an approval or a permit, or both.

Types of businesses

Casino or bingo facilities

Casinos and bingo halls in Vancouver have federal, provincial, and City regulations that apply. Learn more here.


A home-based business is a business whose office is located in the owner's home. The primary use of the building is residential, with its secondary use as a home office.

Liquor-serving establishments

Because of the social and legal impacts of serving alcohol, restaurants, pubs, and clubs in Vancouver have more licensing requirements. Learn more here.

Cannabis retail stores

Apply to operate a cannabis retail store in Vancouver, and learn how we regulate these types of businesses.

Out of town business

A business being carried on in the City of Vancouver, but with the business office located outside of Vancouver.

Residential rental properties

Get a business licence to rent your residential property. We have 3 licences based on how long you'll rent it and if you live there.

Trades and construction

Learn about the inter-municipal business licence that allows trades contractors and construction industry professionals to operate in six participating cities.

Vehicles for hire

Find out the requirements for a Vehicles for Hire licence if you want to operate a vehicle that others hire to transport people or property in the City of Vancouver.

Contact us about business licences

Location and mailing address
Development and Building Services Centre
Ground floor
515 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Z 4A8

Phone: 311

Monday, Wednesday, Friday
8:30am to 4:30pm

Tuesday, Thursday
8:30am to 4:00pm

Free 2-hour parking
West 10th Ave parking lot,
between Cambie and Yukon

Related links for new business owners

Get a business licence

Find out how to apply for a business licence, additional requirements, and other approvals you might need.

Casino or bingo facilitiesCannabis retail storesOut of town businessLiquor-serving establishmentsHome-basedResidential rental propertiesTrades and constructionVehicles for hire