We’re taking bold actions to reduce waste and litter from single-use items and are committed to working with businesses, charities, and not-for-profits to affect long-lasting change.
What's happeningUpdates to the Cup By-law
Customers’ clean reusable cups must be accepted – Starting July 1, 2022
- Businesses will be required to accept customers’ clean reusable cups for drinks ordered in-store
- Food vendors must have and follow a written procedure for serving drinks (hot and cold) in a customer’s clean reusable cup for drinks ordered in store. The procedure must be in accordance with food safety and sanitary practices required by public health authorities.
- The cup fee and other cup regulations now in effect still apply when reusable cups cannot be accepted.
Free drinks exempted from cup fee as of March 29, 2022
Business can provide free drinks in single-use cups without charging a cup fee if the drinks provided are:
- At no cost to the customer, such as free water or complimentary coffee
- In exchange for a “drink voucher” (voucher would specify that it’s good for a free drink or free drink and free meal)
- In exchange for points or rewards earned using a licence holder’s loyalty or rewards program
Complying with the Cup By-law
Why we updated the by-law
Since the by-law came into effect, concerns were raised about potential unintended impacts of the cup fee, which include:
- Impacts to low income residents
- Businesses charging cup fees without offering reusable alternatives
In response to these concerns, Council directed staff to report back with recommended adjustments to the cup by-law to address these impacts. Council approved the following changes to the cup by-law:
- On March 2, Council approved, in principle, by-law amendments to require businesses to accept customers’ reusable cups for drinks ordered in-store starting July 1, 2022. Review the March 2 meeting minutes.
- On March 29, Council approved by-law amendments to exempt free drinks from the cup fee. Review the March 29 meeting minutes.
- On June 7, Council approved enactment of by-law amendments to require businesses to accept customers’ clean reusable cups for drinks ordered in-store starting July 1, 2022. Review the June 7 meeting minutes.
Single-Use Item by-law toolkit for businesses, charities, and not-for-profits
ਜਾਣਕਾਰੀ ਸਮੱਗਰੀ ਡਾਊਨਲੋਡ ਕਰੋ ਜਾਂ ਆਰਡਰ ਕਰੋ
Magdownload o magorder ng resource tool kit
Tải về hay yêu cầu một bộ công cụ tài nguyên