House renovations

Small business Commercial Renovation Centre (CRC)

Are you a small business owner planning a renovation or looking to move or start a business in Vancouver?

We are here to help

  • We offer assistance to small business owners who have found a great location, but aren't sure if it’s suitable for their business.
  • We help with hands-on support for small business owners who are experiencing difficulty understanding our regulations, permits, and procedures.
  • We provide clear and comprehensive direction up-front from our experienced staff to help our customers make an informed decision about the suitability of a property or the viability of a proposed renovation.  

What we will do

  • Meet with you to better understand your project and the challenges you are facing
  • Research and investigate to determine the most efficient way to help you on your way
  • Identify other City departments that need to be involved and identify any roadblocks throughout the process

Our renovation centre can help with a variety of small businesses including:

  • Small schools
  • Small fitness centres
  • Coffee shops
  • Restaurants
  • Small performing art spaces

Permit processing times for June 2024

Elapsed time measures from the date that an application generates a permit number to when the permit is issued. Timelines are influenced by the volume of instream applications to be processed, completeness of the application, site/project specific requirements, customer response times, and more.

Type of permit
Number of issued permits
Median elapsed time
{{item.mediani2i | number: 1}} weeks

Source: Open Data Portal

Permit processing workflow

  • 1

    Prepare and submit your application to us

  • 2

    We work with you to review your application

  • 3

    Book your field review inspection

  • 4

    We inspect your site and once the inspection is passed, we issue your permit

What we need to know to best help you

  1. What type of business do you plan to operate?
  2. What type of business was in the space before?
  3. What is your address and do you know your zoning?
  4. Does the building have a sprinkler system?
  5. How big is your suite or unit, and what floor are you on?
  6. Will you be sharing the space with another business?
  7. Do you have direct access to the unit from the street?
  8. Is there any parking on the site?
  9. Do you have any floor plans of the unit or a site plan?

Contact us

Contact us online to submit your CRC proposal details and contact information.

 When filling out the contact us form, please enter "CRC Project" in the "Other Subject" line or "Description" field to help us quickly identify your request.

Starting or expanding a small business

Key resources to to help you start or expand your business in Vancouver.

Business Improvement Areas (BIAs)

Find and get information on your local Business Improvement Area (BIA).

Commercial Tenant Assistance Program

Find information for relocating your business and finding a new space.