Small business Commercial Renovation Centre (CRC)
Are you a small business owner planning a renovation or looking to move or start a business in Vancouver?
We are here to help
- We offer assistance to small business owners who have found a great location, but aren't sure if it’s suitable for their business.
- We help with hands-on support for small business owners who are experiencing difficulty understanding our regulations, permits, and procedures.
- We provide clear and comprehensive direction up-front from our experienced staff to help our customers make an informed decision about the suitability of a property or the viability of a proposed renovation.
What we will do
- Meet with you to better understand your project and the challenges you are facing
- Research and investigate to determine the most efficient way to help you on your way
- Identify other City departments that need to be involved and identify any roadblocks throughout the process
Our renovation centre can help with a variety of small businesses including:
- Small schools
- Small fitness centres
- Coffee shops
- Small performing art spaces
Permit processing times as of October 1, 2020
Permit processing times will depend on the completeness of your application, how long it takes you to respond to our questions, and volume of instream applications to be processed.
|Type of permit
We aim to issue 95% of permit applications in:
In the last three months, we achieved our target for the following percentage of applications:
|Minor commercial renovation
Permit processing workflow
Prepare and submit your application to us
We work with you to review your application
Once you have answered all of your questions, call for an inspection
We inspect your site and once the inspection is passed, we issue your permit
What we need to know to best help you
- What type of business do you plan to operate?
- What type of business was in the space before?
- What is your address and do you know your zoning?
- Does the building have a sprinkler system?
- How big is your suite or unit, and what floor are you on?
- Will you be sharing the space with another business?
- Do you have direct access to the unit from the street?
- Is there any parking on the site?
- Do you have any floor plans of the unit or a site plan?
Email your proposal details, address, and your contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit the Building and Development Services Centre at 515 West 10th Avenue and ask for a referral.