Temporary transfer station for green waste in False Creek area

Until further notice, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is restricting the movement of plant material and soil out of the False Creek and Downtown area.

This means you cannot move:

  • Rooted plants and soil outside the area, year round
  • Above-ground plant parts outside the area between mid-June and mid-October, the season adult beetles fly

 If you do not follow these rules, you will be fined by the CFIA.

When to use the transfer station

Our temporary transfer station for green waste and plants mixed with soil is open from June 14 to October 15.


Use your green bin first.

There are no changes to green bin collection.

The temporary transfer station is only for excess green waste (no food waste) that will not fit in your green bin.


Bring small quantities - a pick-up truck load - only.

If you need to dispose of more, contact the CFIA for a Movement Certificate at:

Accepted materials

 Green waste including grass clippings, leaves, and branches

 Plants mixed with soil, including root balls and sod

Not accepted

 Food scraps


301 W 1st Ave

Day and hours of operation

Open June 14 to October 15, 2021

Days Hours
Monday to Friday 2pm to 6pm
Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays Closed

Fees and details

Materials Rate Details
Green waste (grass, leaves, and other green waste)

$25: 1/2 pickup load
$50: pickup load even with the top of the bed
$75: pickup load heaped over the top of the bed

Landscapers with quantities bigger than one pickup truck must get a Movement Certificate from the CFIA. Call 604-292-5742.
Plants mixed with soil including root balls and sod $15 / load Limit: 1 wheelbarrow


Pay onsite using debit, Mastercard, Visa, or American Express only. Cash is not accepted. 

Monthly invoicing is an option for commercial customers only. 

Have questions?

Send questions to us about the treatment plan for public land using our online form.

View all other topics below to see which organization to contact.

  • Identify regulated area
  • Restrict plant, soil, and landscape waste movement
  • Permits for moving restricted waste
  • Place traps for beetles
  • Intake reported beetle sightings

Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA)


Phone: 604-292-5742

  • Eradication effort
  • Decision to eradicate Japanese beetle
  • Treatment product being used

BC Ministry of Agriculture

  • Beetle education and awareness

Invasive Species Council of BC

Phone: 1-888-933-3722