The Vancouver South Transfer Station is for commercial and residential customers to dispose of garbage, and to drop off select recyclable materials.
Wood products with glue
Wood products with glue (such as plywood, particle board, and oriented strand board) are no longer accepted for recycling, and must be separated from clean wood waste for disposal as garbage.
Transfer Station location
Caution: You must enter from the east. Left turns are not permitted by vehicles arriving from the west.
377 West Kent Ave North
Vancouver, V5X 2X1
|Monday to Friday||5:30am to 7pm|
|Saturday and Sunday||8am to 6pm|
|Christmas Day and New Year's Day||Closed|
|All other statutory holidays unless otherwise noted||6am to 4pm|
Visit the Vancouver Zero Waste Centre (formerly the Recycling Depot) at 8588 Yukon St, to drop off a wide range of materials for reuse and recycling, free of charge.
Materials accepted and fees
How your total fee is calculated
We take the following steps to calculate your disposal fee:
- When you arrive, staff ask what items you are dropping off and weigh your vehicle.
- You dispose of your items.
- Staff weigh your vehicle again, and calculate the weight of the disposed items based on the difference.
- You pay your fees before leaving.
Not accepted Materials accepted at other locations
The following materials are not accepted here. They are included in take-back programs and accepted at designated drop-off locations. Use the Waste Wizard to find drop-off locations.
Not accepted Antifreeze and empty antifreeze containers
Not accepted Broken televisions and computer monitors
Not accepted Flammable liquids
Not accepted Fluorescent light bulbs and tubes
Not accepted Medications
Not accepted Paint and empty paint cans
Not accepted Pesticides
Not accepted Tires
Not accepted Used oil, oil filters, and empty oil containers
Surcharges for banned materials and unsecured loads
You will pay a surcharge if your garbage load contains banned materials that have not been separated for recycling or proper disposal, or if your load is not secured using tarps or ropes to prevent litter.
- Get details on the types of banned materials listed below External website, opens in new tab
- Find out where to recycle items on Metro Vancouver Recycles External website, opens in new tab
|Surcharge level||Applies to|
|Garbage loads containing one or more banned hazardous and operational impact or banned product stewardship program materials|
Garbage loads containing banned recyclable materials as follows:
|50% surcharge||All unsecured loads|
|100% surcharge||Garbage loads containing over 20% expanded polystyrene packaging, starting July 1, 2018|
We accept payment by cash, debit card, cheque, and credit card.
There are conditions when paying with a cheque or credit card, and when dropping items off using a rental vehicle.
Sort your load before drop-off to avoid extra fees
If you have a mixed load of items, you may:
- Weigh in, then drop off one item type at a time, and loop back to the weigh scales after each item is dropped off and fees will be based on each item type
- Weigh all items at once and dispose of everything at the garbage rate
We encourage you to sort your load before drop-off to ensure you do not have to pay additional fees.