The former commercial site at 133 East 8th Avenue was rezoned to allow for a mixed-use, residential development

Enquire about and apply for rezoning

Contact us for advice and guidance before you apply. You'll save time and money, and gain a better understanding of the applicable policies.

We recommend taking the following steps.

Find the current zone for your property.

Check if the zone allows for your proposed development. Phone our Building and Development Services Centre at 604-873-7611 to find out what's permitted for your site's current zone. Opening hours are Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm, and Tuesday and Thursday from 8:30am to 4pm.

If the zone doesn't allow, go to step 2.

If the zone allows, apply for a development permit – not a rezoning.

Contact our Planning Information Line to ask us to research the property you want to rezone.

Provide us with the property address, zone, and a detailed description of your proposed zoning changes.

Our planning staff aim to respond within five business days to explain the policies, guidelines, and plans that affect your property's use and development.

We'll advise whether current policy supports your proposed rezoning, and may identify issues to consider or address in your rezoning enquiry and application.

If the policy supports your proposed rezoning, go to step 3.

If the policy doesn't support it, your application will likely not be supported.

Planning Information Line


  • Use the map below to phone the planning division for your property.
  • Downtown – option 1
  • Midtown – option 2
  • South – option 3

Map of Vancouver's three planning divisions, Downtown, Midtown, and South. The Downtown perimeter is the edge of Stanley Park, Burrard Inlet, Clark Drive, Great Northern Way, and False Creek. The Midtown perimeter is Blanca Street, English Bay, False Creek, Great Northern Way, Clark Drive, Burrard Inlet, Boundary Road, 41st Avenue, Fraser Street, and 16th Avenue. The South perimeter is Blanca Street, 16th Avenue, Fraser Street, 41st Avenue, Boundary Road, and the Fraser River.

A rezoning enquiry (also called an application for rezoning advice) is to get your drawings reviewed and get early advice about your proposal before you submit a rezoning application.

Download the application for rezoning advice form PDF file (224 KB)

The form includes:

  • Fee amount and how to pay upon applying
  • Submission requirements checklist – Note Items may vary based on advice from our planning staff in step 2
  • Instructions on how to submit your application

About 12 weeks after applying, our planning staff will respond and advise you on whether there is support your rezoning proposal. This may include specific advice about policy or design.

If there is support your proposal, we'll outline your next steps and any additional work to do before you apply for rezoning.

To continue with your application, go to step 4.

Start preparing your application materials.

We may recommend that you book a pre-application meeting with a rezoning planner, and refer you as needed.

As part of preparing your application, your rezoning planner will:

  • Review the list of application requirements for your rezoning proposal
  • Suggest to meet with other staff who can help identify issues or refine the scope of your proposal
  • Suggest holding a pre-application open house to get early public feedback on your proposal's design (optional based on the complexity of your application)

To apply for rezoning, go to step 5.

Finish preparing your rezoning application, including all the items we asked you to complete in your pre-application. We only accept complete applications.

Meet with your rezoning planner to submit your application. 

Rezoning applications usually take around 12 months to process (from the time you apply in step 5 to when we complete our evaluation in step 7). This duration may vary based on:

  • The complexity of your proposal
  • The issues raised during our review of your application
  • If your application needs public open houses or special impact studies
  • If you need to revise your application

There is a fee to apply for rezoning that is due in full when you submit your application. Refer to our fee schedule for the amount, under Zoning and Development Fee Bylaw, Schedule 2 - Zoning Bylaw Amendments.

Fee schedule PDF file (500 KB)

To inform the public about your application, go to step 6.

Soon after you apply for rezoning, you will install a sign on your property to alert the public to your application. Work closely with your rezoning planner who will provide the sign template.

We'll mail a notification postcard to inform registered property owners in the immediate area of your property.

We may hold a public open house to present your application and ask for feedback.

To see how we review your application, go to step 7.

Our planning staff will evaluate your application based on input from the public, civic advisory groups, and other City staff.

We'll write a report that analyzes your application and recommends that it either be referred to a public hearing and approved, or refused.

If we recommend to City Council to refer your application to public hearing and approve it, our City Clerk's team will schedule the report on a regular Council meeting to refer to a public hearing.

Learn about Council meetings

We usually require that you meet specific conditions before City Council adopts the bylaw for your rezoning. Conditions can include:

  • Legal agreements
  • Site consolidation
  • Infrastructure servicing costs
  • Provision of community amenity
  • Dedication of land for transportation purposes 
  • Building form and design requirements to meet before you get your development permit (applies to CD-1 rezonings)

If we recommend to City Council to refuse your application, our report will go on a Council meeting agenda so you can let Council know why it should consider your application. Council will either refer your application to a public hearing for further consideration or refuse it.

Speak at a Council meeting

If City Council approves your application, go to step 8.

In general, unless your rezoning is a minor text amendment in the bylaw, apply for a development permit to build your project and its public benefits.

How the development process works

Apply for a development permit