Development permits ensure the livability and functionality of neighbourhoods by regulating the built form and ensuring land uses are appropriately located.
What is development?
In Vancouver, development is "any change in the use of any land or building or the carrying out of any construction, engineering, or other operation in, on, over, or under land or land covered by water".
- Applies to both construction/ renovation and changing the use of a building or part of a building
- Is regulated by the Zoning and Development By-law
Find an active development application in your neighbourhood.
When you need a separate development permit before getting a building permit
In the case of large scale projects, and/or where zoning relaxations or particular types of land uses are proposed, a separate development permit is required before a building permit application can be submitted.
Unsure on whether your project requires a separate development permit? Contact the Development and Building Services Centre.
Don't follow the steps to getting a development permit if you are:
- Renovating or building a house or laneway house: Review the steps to renovating or building a house or laneway house
- A small business owner planning a renovation or looking to start a business: Find out how the Small Business Renovation Centre can help
- Developing a childcare centre: Review the steps for a childcare centre
Steps to getting a development permit
Step 1: Research your property, engage a designer, and contact City staff
Step 2: Submit development permit application and pay fees
Step 3: Application is reviewed and next steps provided
Step 4: A decision on your application is made
Step 5: Development permit issued and apply for a building permit
Contact us online
Email: email@example.com (Email available only until May 30, 2021)
Location and mailing address
Development and Building Services Centre
515 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Z 4A8
- Broadway-City Hall SkyTrain Station
- 99 B-line, #15, and #9 buses
Permits, inspections, and forms
Review regulations and apply for the required permits for your construction or renovation project.
Book or cancel an electrical, plumbing, building, fire sprinkler, gas, or sidewalk inspection for your construction or renovation project.
View and download the building or development permit application forms and submission requirements.