After a prolonged shutdown, your building's plumbing system (cold and hot water) and mechanical systems may not be safe. Review guidance available.
Get by-law details
To more effectively respond to incidents, mitigate health risks by pathogens (such as Legionella pneumophila), and ensure compliance with updated standards, operating permits help us and health authorities track new and existing:
- Cooling towers
- Decorative water features
- Non-potable water systems and other building water systems
Find issued operating permits in our Open Data Portal
Looking for an electrical annual permit? Review the steps and get an electrical annual permit
Annual operating permit fee: $175
Pay fee by:
- Credit card online
- Cheque in-person or by mail
Cheque should be made out to the City of Vancouver. Mail to: Development and Building Services Centre, 515 West 10th Avenue, Vancouver, BC V5Z 4A8
Important note A $100 fee is applied to permits not renewed on time or for requested changes to the permit holder.
Ready to get your permit?
- Review what systems require an operating permit
- Review our guide on how to use the online permit system for operating permits PDF file (2 MB)
- Register for an online account (If you don't have an account.)
- Submit your application
- Report water quality results as required. For Legionella pneumophila and E. coli, review laboratory requirements and sampling guidelines (listed under water quality reference documents).
- Keep your operating permit up-to-date. Use the online system for annual permit renewal and updating equipment status.
For additional information, email: email@example.com or phone: 604-873-7549.