Trade permits

Gas permit

You need a gas permit to install or replace a gas-powered appliance – a fireplace, hot water tank, boiler, furnace, or kitchen stove – or the associated pipes and vents.

Replacing your furnace?

Hire a professional to ensure a safe, permitted, and quality installation. Watch this Fortis BC External website video for tips on hiring a contractor.

The City is here to help

Using the tools and information below, you can find out if you need a permit for your specific situation, and then apply.

However, if you're still not sure whether a permit is required, you can contact us directly. Our staff can help you determine which permits you need, and help navigate you through the process.

Not all permits are issued by the City of Vancouver

You must apply to Technical Safety BC, not the City, for permits if you have a premise where the gas meter delivery pressure exceeds 14.0 kPa (2 psig) and the total connected individual gas meter load is greater than 120 kW (409,000 Btuh).

Can't see the form? Load it in a new tab.


You must be a licensed gas contractor with a business license from the City of Vancouver to apply for a gas permit, unless you meet all of the following criteria:

  • You own a detached single family home.
  • You live in that home.
  • The home does not have a secondary suite.
  • No part of the home is rented to another person.
  • You will be doing the work yourself, on your home.
  • You are knowledgeable about this type of work. You will need to meet with and get approval from one of our gas inspectors.

In you meet all of the above criteria, you can apply for a gas permit yourself.

Process and timeline


Register for an online account and submit your application.​

In person

  1. Bring the completed application and supporting documents to the Development and Building Services Centre. (Please note: service wait times vary and may be up to 90 minutes.)
  2. If all of the information is complete and satisfactory, the permit will be issued immediately.
  3. A copy of the permit must be posted at the job site.

You must start the work within 90 days, and request an inspection within 1 year. Otherwise, you will have to get a new permit.

Required forms


Permit fees are based on a number of factors that can vary from project to project. You pay for the permit when you apply for it. You can pay by cash, cheque, debit, or credit.

Contact the Development and Building Services Centre about building and zoning


Location and mailing address
Development and Building Services Centre
Ground floor
515 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Z 4A8

Monday, Wednesday, Friday
8:30am to 4:30pm

Tuesday, Thursday
8:30am to 4:00pm

Free 2-hour parking
West 10th Ave parking lot,
between Cambie and Yukon