Certified Professional Program

The City of Vancouver has an alternate permit process known as the Certified Professional (CP) Program.

The program facilitates the issuance of building permits for new or existing buildings by taking on a review and inspection role on behalf of the City.

Under the Certification of Professionals Bylaw, the City can issue a building permit on the certification of a recognized registered professional architect or engineer.

How certified professionals expedite the permit process

Under the CP permit process, permit issuance can be staged, allowing construction to start earlier than otherwise – an advantage to building owners wanting to expedite their projects.

Note All required City approvals, such as the development permit, must be in place prior to issuance of a particular stage.

Certified professionals don't replace registered professionals normally involved in a construction project. CPs provide an additional level of Building Bylaw review traditionally carried out by City staff.

Permit review process

The building permit review process for CP projects is outlined in the following diagrams:

Submit your permit application

When your application is ready, register for an online account and submit your application.

Certified Professional Program Advisory Committee


The advisory committee:

  • Organizes the Certified Professional Education Program and sets the course outline and curriculum in collaboration with the City of Vancouver
  • Provides comments to the Chief Building Official (CBO) of the City of Vancouver on the following:
    • Certified Professional Program procedures
    • Certified Professional checklist
    • Certified Professional Manual of Practice
    • Other relevant documents
  • Advises the CBO on questions relating to the Practice Standards for Certified Professionals


The committee includes members from:

  • Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of BC (APEGBC)
  • Architects Institute of BC (AIBC)
  • Building Officials Association of BC (BOABC)
  • Urban Development Institute (UDI)
  • City of Vancouver
  • City of Surrey

Meeting frequency

The committee meets once per month.

Contact the committee

Barry Thorson, P.Eng.
Thorson McAuley Certified Professionals


Become a certified professional

To be recognized as a CP, you need to pass the CP course and meet the requirements of the CP Bylaw.

The CP course is offered approximately every two years through the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (APEGBC) and Architectural Institute of BC (AIBC).