A special inspection is an inspection of all systems and structures (in all or in part) of an existing building to:
- Assess general code compliance
- Identify upgrading requirements, including any permits needed for the work
Are you creating a secondary suite for your home?
When you need a special inspection
A special inspection may be required or recommended by City staff depending on the details of your project. Common scenarios that may require a special inspection:
- An existing occupancy classification is changing to allow for a new business or tenant
- Significant work has occurred without permits
- A building has been damaged by fire
- To determine upgrading requirements for a child daycare or community care space
The Development and Building Centre is open for in-person scheduled appointments or payments.
Location and mailing address
Development and Building Centre
515 West 10th Avenue, Ground Floor
Vancouver, BC V5Z 4A8