Marketing and canvassing for charity

Non-profit and charitable organizations raising money for a charitable cause in the City of Vancouver require a Soliciting for Charity licence.

This licence is not required for fund-raising efforts by church organizations, religious denominations or other bona fide societies where donations are sought solely from members of those organizations or societies.

The licence is issued for the term of the soliciting activity, and will expire no later than 31 December of the year the licence is granted.


Additional business licences are required if you:

  • Will be occupying commercial space in Vancouver
  • A professional fund raiser is used

Download the business licence application form (259 KB)

Supporting documents for new applicants

If you are a first-time applicant, or want to change the nature of your campaign or charitable purpose, you will need to:

  • Complete a Soliciting for Charity application form
  • Provide proof that the organization or society is:
    • Incorporated in good standing under the Society Act or
    • Registered under the Income Tax Act (for example, a community association)
  • Provide proof that the organization is raising funds for a charitable purpose
  • If you are raising money on behalf of a community association, provide a letter of authorization from the organization on behalf of which fund raising is taking place


If you are renewing your licence with no changes to your campaign or the nature of your charitable purpose, you will need to complete a Soliciting for Charity Application form for every fundraising campaign.

Download the soliciting for charity application form (59 KB)


Conditions may be applied to the nature, location, and duration of your campaign. Applications may be referred to City Council for approval.


  • Bring your completed application form, all supporting documents if you are a new applicant, and fee to the Development and Building Services Centre.


The cost of the licence is $10.00

You can pay for the permit when you apply for it. You can pay by cash, cheque, debit, or credit card.

If you do not apply in person, we will send you an invoice for the licence fee. Your licence will be processed after we receive payment for the licence fees.


Contact the Licence Office

Contact us online

Appointment required
Development and Building Services Centre
Ground Floor
515 West 10th Avenue

Mailing address
Revenue Services
PO Box 7878
Vancouver, BC V6B 4E2