The focus of event approvals is to make sure that events are safe, and don’t negatively affect the community. We want you to have a fun, safe, memorable event.
Looking to hold your event only in a park? Review the steps to holding an event in a park
Make a donation to help support free public special events
Contact us to learn more.
The length of time required for approval varies depending on the complexity of the event.
- Small to medium sized events with street closures or parking requirements should be applied for 2 to 5 months before the event date.
- Larger and route based events (parades and runs) should be applied for 9 months before the event date.
Steps to getting a special event permit
Information icon Before you begin:
- Read and review our special event guide
- If your event will be contained entirely within a park, don't follow the steps below. Review the steps to holding an event in a park
- If you event includes a street, sidewalk, or plaza PLUS a park. You only need to apply once. Please follow the steps below. (Alert icon Both the City and the Park Board application fees will still apply.)
- Review the City's special event policy PDF file (110 KB)
Step 1: Determine the type of event and where and when it will occur
Step 2: Review the rules to creating an event
Step 3 Review what resources are available to help create your event
Step 4: Gather information and documents required to apply
Step 5: Review fees and deposits
Step 6: Apply for a permit and permit reviewed by staff
Contacts and resources
- BC Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch External website, opens in new tab
- Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General (PSSG) External website, opens in new tab
- Natural Resources Canada (NRC) External website, opens in new tab
- Navigation Protection Act External website, opens in new tab
- Office of Boating Safety External website, opens in new tab
- Port of Vancouver (Vancouver Fraser Port Authority) External website, opens in new tab
- TransLink External website, opens in new tab
- Vancouver Art Gallery External website, opens in new tab
- Vancouver Coastal Health External website, opens in new tab