Park wedding ceremony permit

Wedding in a park

Vancouver has some of the most beautiful wedding sites in the world.

To hold an outdoor wedding ceremony in a Vancouver park, you may need a wedding ceremony permit.

Do I need a permit?

You must get a wedding ceremony permit if:

  • Your group is more than 15 people
  • You have any setup (tables, chairs, archway, etc.)
  • You would like to reserve any of the designated wedding sites for your exclusive use, regardless of your group size

No permit is needed just to take wedding photos in a park.

Non designated sites

If you wish to have your wedding at a location that is not a designated wedding site, you will need to submit a special event application.

We do not permit weddings on or along  beaches other than in the designated wedding locations. Please review the beach locations that we can permit as an alternative.

Currently, we need four months lead time to process special event applications. If that timeline works for your event, apply for a special event permit.

What does my wedding ceremony permit allow?

The permit gives you exclusive use of the park location from 9:00am to 1:00pm or 2:00pm to 6:00pm, and allows you to set up:

  • Two 10-foot × 10-foot tents (must be weighted down, spikes aren't allowed)
  • Maximum of 20 chairs 
  • Small table for signing the marriage certificate
  • Small archway
  • Acoustic music (for example, accordion or guitar)
  • Minimal floral decoration
  • Biodegradeable confetti

What isn't allowed?

  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Amplified sound
  • Catered food

Park wedding ceremony permit fees

Prices do not include tax.

Fee Amount
Designated site $435
Non-designated site $727

Apply for a park wedding ceremony permit

Note Registration for 2019 wedding reservations begin at 9am on Monday, January 14, 2019. It takes several weeks after that time to review and process.

  1. Choose a timeslot:
    • 9am to 1pm
    • 2pm to 6pm
  2. Find availability at your preferred wedding site within your chosen time slot (times shown are current bookings)
  3. Make an online reservation request.
  4. Upon receipt of your application approval via email, buy liability insurance for your event and email a copy to All wedding ceremonies held on City property must have liability insurance. Learn about insurance requirements.
  5. Celebrate your special day!

Refunds and cancellations

Refunds must be requested a minimum of 30 calendar days prior to date of reservation for a 50% refund minus a $30 administration charge; no refunds will be issued within 30 days of your date of reservation.

Contact the Park Board Special Events Office

Special Events &
Filming Office
2099 Beach Ave
Vancouver, BC V6G 1Z4 (mailing address only)

Phone: 604-257-8516 

Fax: 604-257-8501