Get a sign permit

Signs that don't require a sign permit

  • Signs containing only the building number and street name
  • Signs located within a building if the sign cannot be seen from the street (they may require a building permit and an electrical permit if they are lit)
  • Signs for traffic, parking, directions, and bus shelters (if authorized by the City Engineer)

Permits are required for:

  • All signs on private property
  • All awnings on private property

If the awning is installed on:

  • The outside of commercial or industrial buildings and at the first floor level or below, you will need a sign permit
  • Other types of buildings (including private homes) or higher than the first floor, you will need a development permit and/or a building permit

Each sign will require a separate permit.

Register and submit your application

Review the steps to getting a sign permit

Not sure if you need a sign permit? Contact the Development and Building Services Centre online

Steps to getting a sign permit