We maintain over 6,200 fire hydrants throughout the city - every building has a hydrant readily available in case of fire. We inspect hydrants regularly, and replace parts that are not performing as needed.
Report leaky fire hydrants
Use our VanConnect app form to easily report problematic hydrants. For urgent requests, please call 3-1-1.
Hydrants do more than help put out fires
While the primary function of a hydrant is fire protection, they also serve valuable secondary uses, including:
- Water main flushing to help maintain quality
- Construction and film industry activities
- Temporary water service during water main shutdowns
- Emergency potable water in the event of an earthquake
- Blowdown for draining transmission pipelines
Use fire hydrants for filming and construction
We issue permits for using fire hydrants in filming and construction.
Contact Waterworks Design
5th Floor, 507 West Broadway
Vancouver BC, V5Z 0B4
Did you know?
Blue fire hydrants, seen in Kitsilano and the downtown core, are connected to a pipeline that can harness salt water in the event of emergencies.