COVID-19 (Coronavirus) update: status of Cultural Spaces Grants
April 3, 2020: We're currently reviewing submitted Cultural Infrastructure Grants and Small Grants for Cultural Spaces, and preparing the Affordable Cultural Spaces grant stream, in light of COVID-19. We'll share details in the coming weeks.
Arts and culture facilities are essential to every vibrant, healthy community. We offer funding to help non-profit organizations buy, build, renovate, or expand a cultural space.
Your organization must be a registered Vancouver-based non-profit society, charitable organization, or non-profit cooperative with a strong cultural mandate having an independent, active governing body composed of volunteers. Local First Nations Band Councils and Urban Indigenous non-profit organizations are also eligible to apply.
We don't fund organizations that:
- Focus on health care, education, sports, recreation, or religion
Your organization may apply for this grant to:
- Plan or undertake feasibility studies for future capital projects
- Complete capital projects
- Buy, build, renovate, or expand a cultural facility
The funding cannot pay for:
- Regular or routine repair and maintenance
- Part of ongoing, day-to-day operations
- Work that is already underway or completed
- Administrative costs not directly related to the project
- Projects not located in Vancouver
How to apply
- Read the application guidelines PDF file (348 KB)
The guidelines explain:
- Program objectives
- Eligible applicants and projects
- Grant types and amounts
- Assessment of applications (criteria and process)
- Terms and conditions of the grant award
- Contact us to set up a mandatory meeting to discuss your eligibility and project:
- firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-829-9307
- Meetings will be scheduled for Tuesdays and Thursdays from January 6 to February 28, at the Cultural Services office in the Woodwards Heritage Building.
- email@example.com or 604-829-9307
- Complete the statement of intent to apply Word file (22 KB) to apply
- Email the completed document to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to your meeting
If your group and project are eligible, we will email you an invitation to apply online. The completed application form must be submitted by the deadline. We will also send you an invitation to an information session on the online application process, and valuable information on the grant itself
Resource documents to help with your application
- Making Space for Culture: Planning Cultural Capital Projects PDF file (705 KB)
Read how we are helping arts, culture organizations, and artists with their cultural space projects.
- Cultural Spaces Organization Readiness PDF file (35 KB)
This easy-to-use checklist helps you determine your organization's financial- and planning readiness.
- Cultural Spaces Self-Assessment Checklist PDF file (45 KB)
An 8-page tool to help your organization with its space planning projects. The checklist uses the same basic criteria for assessment that the Cultural Infrastructure Assessment Committee will use to review your application. Your project application will be strengthened by considering the topics contained in the checklist.
- Guidelines for Memorandum of Understanding PDF file (60 KB)
Use this guide to help you draw up a memorandum of understanding (MOU) or partnership agreement between collaborating organizations.
- Guidelines for Scope of Work for Procurement of Good and Services PDF file (100 KB)
A scope of work answers the who, why, what, how, and how-much questions, and should be used to solicit comparable and competitive bids from organizations who wish to provide goods and services. These guidelines explain the elements that should be included in a scope of work.
- Available Funding Programs For Cultural Organizations PDF file (120 KB)
Get information about planning/capital grants for cultural spaces, energy/sustainability grants, and other financial help.
- Canadian Capital Funding Sources for Cultural Projects External website, opens in new tab
Working through funding and financing options? Use this resource to explore almost 100 local, provincial, and federal programs designed to support cultural sector projects.
View the 2019 Cultural Grant Allocations (Infrastructure, Community Arts, Arts Capacity, Host Your Own Engagement) 2019 Cultural Infrastructure Grant Allocations report PDF file (392 KB).
Contact Cultural Services
Woodward's Heritage Building
501 - 111 West Hastings St
Vancouver, BC V6B 1H4
453 West 12th Ave
Vancouver, BC V5Y 1V4