Arts and culture facilities are essential to every vibrant, healthy community. We offer funding to help non-profit organizations buy, build, renovate, or expand a cultural space.
|Statement of Intent to apply deadline||February 17|
|Application opens||January 27|
|Application deadline||March 10|
Your organization must be a registered Vancouver-based non-profit society, charitable organization, or non-profit cooperative with a strong cultural mandate having an independent, active governing body composed of volunteers. Local First Nations Band Councils and Urban Indigenous non-profit organizations are also eligible to apply.
We don't fund organizations that:
- Focus on health care, education, sports, recreation, or religion
Your organization may apply for a Cultural Spaces grant for:
- Affordable Spaces (up to $50,000) – facility operating costs for space operators
- Capital Infrastructure grants (up to $250,000) – complete capital projects; buy, build, renovate or expand a cultural facility
- Small Grants (up to $25,000) – funding support for Equity-seeking and/or under-represented groups for planning, research, accessibility upgrades, peer-based mentorships
- Critical Assistance grants (up to $25,000) for urgent building life-safety upgrades and/or urgent replacement/repair
The funding cannot pay for:
- Equipment that is presentation or exhibition-related, non-integral portable lighting/audio/visual systems/equipment, computer or communication systems, furniture, or appliances
- Capital projects, regular or routine repair and maintenance, or part of ongoing, day-to-day operations
- Any work that is already underway or completed prior to the application deadline. However, in the context of Affordable Spaces grants, funding support may be considered for space operation deficits that exist prior to application deadlines.
- Strategic planning, capital campaigns, fundraising, or marketing activities
- Operations or administration items such as: moving expenses, tools, non-space related training, computer software, food and beverages
- Projects not located in Vancouver
How to apply
- Confirm eligibility.
- Complete a Statement of Intent (SOI) form by February 17.
- This form helps planners confirm eligibility and provide feedback on your proposal before you complete the formal application. You will receive an email with a link to the SOI form.
- Applicants to the Critical Assistance Grant may complete an application at any time, regardless of deadline dates. Contact planners directly at emails above.
- Complete an online application.
- If your proposal is eligible (based the information you have provided in the SOI form) you will be invited to submit an online application. Be prepared to provide detailed information such as financial statements, scope, and quotes for proposed work.
Resources to help with your application
View the previous years' Cultural Grant allocations:
View previous recipients of Vancouver's Cultural Infrastructure Grants: who received grants, how much the grant was, and what the grant will be used for.
Contact Cultural Services
Woodward's Heritage Building
501 - 111 West Hastings St
Vancouver, BC V6B 1H4
453 West 12th Ave
Vancouver, BC V5Y 1V4